Auxiliary church of St John the Baptist Our Lady of the Scapular, Kraków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Auxiliary church of St John the Baptist Our Lady of the Scapular

Kraków

photo

An example of a successful transfer and partial reconstruction of a valuable monument of wooden sacred architecture of the Lesser Poland type intended for dismantling in the original location. The transfer of the church from Jawornik to Church rescued it from inevitable destruction. After reconstruction in the new location, the church is still used for the worship purposes. The monument is an example of a traditional wooden rural church of the Lesser Poland type. Inside, there are remains of valuable figural and ornamental wall painting from the 2nd quarter of the 17th century.

History

The church was built in the 2nd quarter of the 17th century in Jawornik, a locality situated approx. 30 km to the south from Cracow. It was probably the second church in the village chartered in the 14th century. The initiator and founder of the construction of the church was most probably the then owner of Jawornik, Hieronim Przyłęcki. The church was renovated and converted a couple of times in 18th and 19th century. In 1743, a wooden tower was added to the church's body, which was replaced by a stone tower in the years 1911-1913. In 1982, the church was heavily damaged during a hurricane, and a decision was taken to dismantle it. In the end, however, the church was transferred to Kraków-Krzesławice and reconstructed there in the years 1984-1997. Among the elements reconstructed there were, among other things: the wooden bell tower, roof truss, sacristy, and vestibule; external walls were covered with weatherboards, and roofs with wood shingles. Wall painting from the 2nd quarter of the 17th century, discovered during dismantling works, was renovated, as well as altarpieces and ambo. The church was located on a plot of land near a former wooden manor house from 1826, once a property of Jan Matejko, where it was to be one of the wooden architecture open-air museum exhibits. The museum was never created, but owing to the efforts of the then parish priest of the church of St Vincent in the nearby Pleszów, Jan Hyc, the monument regained its worship functions as an auxiliary church. It is used as such also today. After transferring to Cracow, the church's dedication was changed into St John the Baptist and Our Lady of the Scapular (in Jawornik, the church was dedicated to the Discovery and Exaltation of the Holy Cross).

Description

The church is a wooden Baroque building based on a log structure, covered with weatherboards. It is comprised of a wider rectangular nave, with a two-storey porch from the south and a narrower chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon, with a two-storey sacristy from the north. The body of the church is covered by a one-ridge roof laid with wood shingles, with a Baroque steeple turret on the ridge. A tented roof, analogical in shape to the turret, seats atop the two-storey post-and-frame tower with inclined walls. The Baroque main altar and two side altars and the ambo were transferred from Jawornik. In the main altar, a late-Gothic crucifix from the early 16th century, provided to the church from the parish of St Vincent in Pleszów, was placed, among other things. The most valuable element of the church's décor is figural and ornamental wall painting from the 2nd quarter of the 17th century, discovered in the chancel during dismantling works. It was renovated in 1986 by conservation artist Józef Mitka. Among the figural motifs, the scene of the Judgement and the figure of St Christoph are worth particular attention.

The historic monument is accessible. It may be visited upon prior telephone appointment with the parish. The church is located on the Wooden Architecture Route of Małopolska. Access in the summer period is also possible as part of the tour of selected monuments on the route.

compiled by Tadeusz Śledzikowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 08-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 1: Województwo krakowskie, oprac. J. Szablowski, Warszawa 1953, s. 267-268.
  • Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, t. III, red. F. Sulimierski, B. Chlebowski, W. Walewski, Warszawa 1882, s. 514-517.
  • Brykowski R., Kornecki M., Kościoły drewniane w Małopolsce południowej, Wrocław 1984, s. 75.
  • Kornecki M, Kościół drewniany w Jaworniku, dziś w Krakowie-Krzesławicach, „Wiadomości Konserwatorskie Województwa Krakowskiego”, nr 8, Kraków 1998.
  • Krasnowolski B, Leksykon zabytków architektury Małopolski, Warszawa 2013, s. 16
  • M. Rożek M., Gondkowa B., Leksykon kościołów Krakowa, Kraków 2003, s. 58.
  • Śledzikowski T., Drewniane kościoły, kaplice i dzwonnice w Krakowie, „Rocznik Krakowski”, t. LXXIII, Kraków 2007, s. 81-83.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2. ćw. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wańkowicza 35, Kraków
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district Kraków, commune Kraków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area