Filial church, today the Parish of the Nativity of St John the Baptist, Kozłowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church, today the Parish of the Nativity of St John the Baptist

Kozłowice

photo

An example of the traditional, sacred wooden architecture from the early 17th century. The winner of the prize in the contest, Well-Kept Monument of 2006. It boasts a remarkable interior, richly decorated with polychromy of about the mid-18th century and the first half of the 19th century.

History

The first mention of the village of Kozłowice dates back to 1423 but fails to provide any facts about the church. The temple certainly functioned in Kozłowice in the 2nd half of the 17th century, as corroborated in inspection reports and inscriptions on the bells cast in 1651, currently in the territory of Germany. As the local legend has it, originally the church was built in the village Chudoba, but it was a wager of in a card game which was lost. as a result, the church was disintegrated and moved to a new site on horse-drawn carts. In 1744 the Kozłowice estate became the property of the Paczyńskis family who sponsored painting decoration in the church in the 2nd half of the 18th century. A painted cartouche over the old south entrance bears the date “1762”, and the choir exhibits two heraldic cartouches: Topór and Ciołek. As it reads on the back of the main altar, it was renovated in 1848 by the sacristan named Jan Klecha. In 1908 the church was renovated and re-consecrated in 1942. The year 1957 is considered the date of the establishment of the parish in Kozłowice. Earlier, it had been supervised by the parish in Gorzów Śląski. In 2006, the building was the winner of the Well-Kept Monument contest held by the General Monument Inspector.

Description

The church can be accessed by a linden alley; on the north side, it borders with a parish cemetery with alleys paved with granite paving stone. The church is east-oriented, with a short, almost square nave which adjoins a chancel with a three-sided termination with a sacristy; a square tower is integrated with the church body on the west. The church has a compact and harmonious body. The low tower is covered with a tented roof, the nave with a gable roof, the lower chancel and sacristy with the founder’s lodge in the upper level with multi-pitched roofs. The lodge is accessible from outside by stairs; it opens to the church rectangularly.

The wooden church was built as a log structure, on a modern basecourse, with a post-and-beam tower. The nave walls are reinforced with vertical supports. The body façades are shingled, and the walls of the tower are covered with vertical weatherboards. All roofs are shingled. The interior features a false barrel vault, somewhat higher over the nave. The flat sections of the ceiling by the nave walls are supported by two pairs of columns: two-piece, with richly decorated with double heads. The other ceilings in the church are beam ceilings. The window openings are rectangular, round in the chancel.

The interior boasts lavish 18th-century wall paintings in the chancel and nave and 19th-century paintings on the vaults. The walls have painted decoration with architectural motifs, heraldic cartouches, Regency-Rococo ornaments, the figures of saints in niches, etc. On the ceiling of the chancel and nave, there are paintings with figural motifs against the firmament. The rood has two beams with an attached wooden crucifix. The choir has a bulged sill in the middle, supported by decorative pillars. The main altar is a late Baroque style (1st half of the 18th century); it is architectural with sculptures and paintings representing a uniform style.

The site is freely accessible from outside; viewing of the interior is only possible during the services or by arrangement with the parish priest.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 02-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, z. 10, red. T. Chrzanowski i M. Kornecki, s. 12-13.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 45.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury: Kościół parafialny p.w. Narodzenia św. Jana Chrzciciela, oprac. tekstu L. Pyrkosz, archiwum WUOZ w Opolu.
  • Strona internetowa parafii w Kozłowicach, 01.09.2014 r.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kozłowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district oleski, commune Gorzów Śląski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area