Roman Catholic filial church of St Philip and James the Apostles, Koza Wielka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Roman Catholic filial church of St Philip and James the Apostles

Koza Wielka

photo

The Roman Catholic filial church of St Philip and James the Apostles, built in the late 17th and early 18th century, is an example of a simple, rural, single-nave church having a wooden log structure, with walls reinforced with vertical supports and covered with weatherboards. On the west side, it is adjoined by a tower having a post-and-beam structure, clad with weatherboards and topped with a conical roof. The church stands upon a hill and is surrounded by a cemetery.

History

The first mentions of a local church date back to 1376.

From the 16th century until 1638 the church remained in the hands of Protestants.

At the turn of the 18th century, the current wooden log church was erected, its tower featuring a post-and-beam structure. The roof was clad with wood shingles, while the tower and steeple featured sheet metal roofs.

In years 1883-1884, thorough renovation works of the church were performed.

The church was also renovated in 1927.

The wall paintings inside the building were restored in 1963.

In 1996, parts of the roof truss as well as the wood shingle cladding were replaced; the rotten wooden sill plate was replaced by brick foundations. The floors were replaced, with insulating material installed underneath the new floors.

The walls of the church underwent conservation and renovation works in 2003.

Description

The village of Koza Wielka is situated approximately 16 kilometres west of Kępno, near the Syców - Domasłów - Miechów road, next to the boundary of the district and province to which it belongs. The boundary between Greater Poland and Lower Silesia runs nearby. The church itself stands on a hill on the western edge of the village and is surrounded by a cemetery. The cemetery site has a shape approximating that of a trapezium; it is surrounded with a new, metal fence positioned on brick foundations. The cemetery borders on the road towards Syców in the west and is surrounded by arable fields from all other sides. The entrance to the cemetery and the church leads through a gate and wicket gate positioned on the south-western corner. The cemetery itself is overgrown with old deciduous trees. The cemetery features a crucifix dated 1901 as well as a number of headstones from the first quarter of the 20th century.

The church is oriented towards the east; it is a wooden building with log structure (also known as cribwork), reinforced with vertical supports and clad with weatherboards. The building stands on a plastered brick foundation. The foundation was built in the 1990s, replacing the original wooden sill plate. The church features a tower which abuts it from the west; it is a post-and-beam structure with slanting walls clad with weatherboards. The small church was designed on a rectangular, almost square floor plan, with an elongates, slightly narrower chancel featuring a semi-hexagonal termination. A porch and a sacristy abut the church from the south and north respectively; both are brick structures with walls covered with plaster. The tower features a conical roof clad with sheet metal; the same solution is used for the octagonal steeple with a bulbous cupola at the top. The other roof surfaces are covered with wood shingles. The nave features a roof with a single ridge and pronounced eaves above the chancel.

The interior of the church features a beamed ceiling with spaces between the beams covered with wooden boards. The ceiling above the choir gallery is completely covered with boards. A wooden choir gallery is situated in the western part of the church, resting upon sturdy pillars. The main altarpiece and the two side altarpieces as well as the ambo date back to the mid- 19th century. Until recently, the choir gallery was adorned with Gothic reliefs taken from the wings of a triptych, portraying St Veronica, St Sophia, St St Peter, St Bartholomew, St John the Evangelist and St James the Greater. However, these outstanding 15th-century pieces have now been moved to the Archdiocese Museum in Poznań.

The site is accessible to visitors. Viewing of the building is only possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the Domasław parish and of the Kalisz Diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 20-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 10, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: przełom XVII/XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Koza Wielka
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district kępiński, commune Perzów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area