Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Opawica
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Holy Trinity

Opawica

photo

Built in the early 18th century, the Church of the Holy Trinity in Opawica has high-quality Rococo fixtures and fittings from the main altar through side altars and a baptismal font, to the pulpit made in 1772 in the shape of a boat with carved figures of fishermen. In addition, the church is decorated with Baroque illusionistic murals made by Józef Mateusz Lasser in 1733.

History

The first mention of the church in Opawica dates from 1410 and refers to the Church of St. Elizabeth. In 1638, a lightning struck the church tower and the church burned down. In the early 18th century the remnants of the Church of St. Elizabeth were demolished, and its site was used for the construction of a Baroque Church of the Holy Trinity founded by Leopold Karol Siedlnicki, Treasurer of the Crown, in 1701-1706. Only crypts have been preserved from the earlier Church of St. Elizabeth.

Murals were painted on the ceiling of the newly built church in 1733. They were made by Józef Mateusz Lasser. In 1759 the church was partially destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt as early as the following year, when it was also extended by a tower to the west. Rococo fixtures and fittings of the church were made mainly by sculptor Józef Hartmann in Nysa after the middle of the 18th century. Paintings for the main altar and side altars were made by painter Francke from Ząbkowice.

The church was consecrated in 1786.

Description

The church is situated on a hill at the north-western corner of the market square, surrounded by a cemetery, with two entrance gates, fenced with a stone wall. The building is oriented towards the east, brick-built and plastered; it consists of a three-bay nave on a rectangular floor plan and a two-bay chancel terminating in a semi-circular arch. The second bay of the chancel is extended by two rectangular annexes: the northern annex houses a sacristy, whereas the southern one a chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary. Under the chancel and the chapel there is a crypt. The nave adjoins a porch to the north and a three-storey tower to the west, on the church axis.

The chancel and the nave of the church are covered with a saddle roof. The nave is surmounted by a steeple with a flag, which bears a discernible date of completion of the construction of the church: 1706. The annexes are covered with three-slope roofs. Originally, they were clad with slate, now they are clad with sheet metal. The tower is crowned by a pyramid-shaped pointed cupola.

Inside the church, the chancel, nave and sacristy are covered with barrel vaults with lunettes, whereas the chapel is topped by dome-shaped ceilings. The western bay of the nave houses a masonry choir gallery supported by three arcades.

Vaults in the chancel, nave, sacristy and chapel, and walls of the chapel and sacristy are decorated by illusionistic murals made by Józef Mateusz Lasser in 1733. Individual scenes are reflected in the regency ornament and illusionistic architecture. The vault of the sacristy bears an inscription on the origin of the murals.

Among the church fixtures and fittings made in the second half of the 18th century, particular attention should be given to the pulpit (1772) in the shape of a boat with bas-relief figures of fishermen holding a net on a basket, with a sail on a canopy and a palm at the gate of the staircase.

The structure is open to visitors.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 27-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 2: District głubczycki, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warsaw 1965, pp. 63-66.
  • Maler K., Historia Opawicy [in:] Kalendarz Głubczycki 2007, pp. 111-125.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, vol. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, p. 180.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Opawica
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district głubczycki, commune Głubczyce - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area