Filial Church of the Heart of Jesus and St Jadwiga of Silesia, Komorzno
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of the Heart of Jesus and St Jadwiga of Silesia

Komorzno

photo

The wooden church of the 2nd half of the 17th century is part of the Sacred Wooden Architecture Route of the Opole region. It is a vehicle of a centuries-old architectural tradition and a valuable component of the cultural landscape of the Opole region. It is one of the few single-space temples in the region, an embodiment of the Protestant concept of “the house of prayer.”

History

The church in Komorzno operated already in the 12th century when it belonged to St Vincent Monastery. The current temple was built in 1753 by a carpenter named Christian Kihla from Namysłów, as evidenced by the inscription on the choir support beam. The tower was probably erected with the previous church, so it dates from the late 16th century. In the years 1530-1945, the church in Komorzno belonged to the Evangelicals, now serves as a filial church of the Roman Catholic Parish of the Holy Trinity in Krzywiczyny. The church underwent multiple renovations, for example, tie-back reinforcement was installed in 1983. W 1985 the interior was clad with wooden paneling.

Description

The church is oriented towards the east; it is located in the north-west part of the village, about 200 m north of the main road. About 200 m to the west of the church, there is a palace with farm buildings; the palace park surrounds the church area from the south and west side.

The floor plan of the church is an elongated rectangle, closed on three sides; from the east, it touches the sacristy with the founder’s lodge on the upper level; from the south, there is a porch with an access gate to the gallery; from the west - a tower on a square plan, with no passage to the interior of the church. The church body is relatively uniform and covered with a double-pitched roof with three small panes from the east. Two-storey annexes covered with a lean-to roof smoothly integrated with the main planes adjoin the body. The tower with the walls narrowing slightly upward reaches up the height of the ridge of the roof. It is topped with an octagonal hipped roof with a vane. The lower part of the tower is embraced with a broad apron. The external staircase leading to the gallery and founder’s lodge are covered with canopies.

The church was built of wood in a log structure, on a brick base. The tower has a post-and-beam structure, supported on a massive central post, the so-called “king post”. The tower Roofs and apron are shingled; the walls of the tower, annexes and the north façade are clad in vertical weatherboards. Over the hall church interior, there is a high false barrel vault, somewhat distorted by the installed paneling. Beam ceilings prevail over the side rooms and in the tower. Along the walls (besides the three-sided termination), there are extensive, overhanding and mutually connected galleries, the south of which is only half-high relative to the wall.

The equipment comes mostly from the former church. It includes a Baroque main altar from ca. mid-17th century with a bas-relief of the Last Supper between the twisted columns decorated with vine, with the statues of Sts Peter and Paul in the side sections and the Apostles in a boat in the predella; and a pulpit dating from the same period with architectural partitions and painted biblical scenes, Regency organ, font, etc.

The monument is open to visitors. Viewing of the interior by prior telephone arrangement.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 24-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, Województwo opolskie, z. 4: kluczborski,  red. T. Chrzanowski i M. Kornecki, s.26-27.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 44.
  • Śląsk. Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, oprac. zbiorowe, Warszawa 2006, s. 423.
  • Lutsch Hans, Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, T.2, , Breslau 1894, s. 16-17.
  • Burgmeister L., Wiggert E., Holzkierche und Holztürme der preussischen  Ostprovinzen Schlesien, etc, Berlin 1905, s. 38. 
  • A. Kluske, Chronik des Dorfes Reinersdorf im Kreuzburger Kreise... zur Feier des hunderjährigen Bestehens der Ortskirche gesammelt, Schreiberhau 1854, s. 57, 60.
  • Matuszczyk J., Architektura drewnianych kościołów ewangelickich w powiecie kluczborskim., Rocznik Muzeum Górnośląskiego w Bytomiu, Sztuka, z. 4, Bytom 1968, s. 12 i nn.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Komorzno
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Wołczyn - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area