Palace, currently serving as the Caritas Orphanage maintained by the Gniezno archdiocese, Kołdrąb
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Palace, currently serving as the Caritas Orphanage maintained by the Gniezno archdiocese

Kołdrąb

photo

An intriguing example of a Gothic Revival residence in the Pałuki region.

History

During the 16th century, the Kołdrąb manor remained in the hands of the Leszczyc noble family; during the period that followed, the manor changed owners on numerous occasions. During the 19th century, its owners were the Gozimirski family (1840), the Baumann family (1872), the Bronisz family (1877) as well as Antoni Zawadzki. The palace in Kołdrąb was constructed in the years 1870-1880. During that period, the owner of the palace was Antoni Buethner-Zawadzki, followed by Józef Bronisz, who purchased the manor in 1874. After that, however, the pattern of frequent changes of ownership repeated itself once more. During the interwar period, the manor remained in the hands of the Haber family. After World War II broke out, the palace was confiscated by the Germans, who converted it into a school for the Hitlerjugend. Shortly before the war or immediately after it came to an end, the title to the palace was acquired by the metropolitan curia in Gniezno, with the intention of converting it into a retirement home for elderly priests. During the communist era, the palace served as a primary school with accommodation for the teaching staff. In 1980, the palace was converted into an orphanage. In 1992, the palace was returned to the Gniezno curia and was then entrusted to the branch of the Caritas charitable society operating in the Gniezno archdiocese, which continues to maintain an orphanage within its walls. Despite certain alterations which have taken place throughout the years, the overall silhouette of the palace remains largely unchanged.

Description

The palace is located on a tall embankment rising above the western shore of the Kołdrąbskie lake. It was designed in the Gothic Revival style, with eclectic influences. It is a masonry structure with stone foundations. The palace was erected on an elongated quadrangular plan and features a two-storey corps de logis. The front (south-western) façade features three distinctive elements: a two-storey central avant-corps with main entrance, the quadrangular, three-storey northern tower as well as the tall, hexagonal southern tower with an octagonal top section. The rear (north-eastern) façade is much more restrained in terms of design, with a distinct middle section mirroring the layout of the front avant-corps. The façades are topped with decorative faux machicolations and crenellated parapets, with bartizans gracing the corners of both the towers and the central avant-corps.

Limited access to the historic building.

compiled by Adam Paczuski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 09-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kronika żałobna utraconej w granicach W.X. Poznańskiego ziemi polskiej. Powiat żniński, compiled by E. Callier, Poznań 1893
  • Krystyna Parucka, Ewa Raczyńska-Mąkowska, Katalog zabytków województwa bydgoskiego, Bydgoszcz 1997
  • Marek Kujawa, Pałac w Kołdrąbiu, www.polskiezabytki.pl

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1870-1880 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kołdrąb 8
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district żniński, commune Janowiec Wielkopolski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area