Filial Church of St Barbara, Kolanowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of St Barbara

Kolanowice

photo

The church is an example of sacral wooden architecture - one of the most valuable elements of the cultural landscape of Opole Silesia. Built in Opole, it was transferred to Kolanowice in the early 19th century. The church is part of the Sacred Wooden Architecture Route.

History

The church was erected in 1678 in Opole as a monastic temple of the Bernardines, near the former Bytomska Gate. It was sold to the residents of Kolanowice near Opole in 1811 and moved there in pieces. After the re-assembly, it was re-consecrated on 19 December 1812. Somewhere in the mid-19th century, a stone porch and an ave-bell turret were added. In 1934 the church underwent thorough renovation; perhaps, the vertical supports in the north and south part of the nave were added in that time. A bell tower was erected in 1978 and a funeral house in 1997. In 2001 the church was robbed of part of its historic fittings and equipment. It is managed by the Parish of St Joseph the Worker in Węgry.

Description

The church stands in the south edge of the village, touching a cemetery in the east and fields in the south. The church is oriented towards the east. It has a short, almost square nave with a porch of equal width added from the west and a narrower chancel with a three-sided termination with a sacristy adjoining from the north. It is embraced by low walkways, with the exception of the west façade and the sacristy.

The slim body of the church is higher than the chancel; it is covered with a gable roof, with a curved roof plane on the west side. At the east gable, there is an octagonal ave-bell turret, topped with a spired cupola. Over the chancel, there is a high multi-faceted roof. Over the porch, there is a wooden gallery with an entrance to the choir, originally overhanging. The gallery, sacristy and the walkways are covered with mono-pitched roofs with shingles.

The church was built of wood in a log structure, on a brick base. The porch is made of brick; the bell tower is a post-and-beam structure, covered with weatherboard. The walkway design includes braced pillars supporting a canopy.

Beam ceilings cover the nave and porch, and a false barrel, boarded ceiling covers the chancel. Above the choir, there is a narrow gallery with banister. A small overhanging gallery with a simple sill can be seen at the north wall of the chancel. The arch-shaped rood beam bears an inscription and the date “1678”. By a newer metal crucifix, a figure of kneeling Mary Magdalene (17th/18th c.). The choir rests on two double-spindle pillars and transforms in a gallery at the south wall. The choir balustrade is decorated with painted ornaments: composed of 12 panels depicting the scenes from the life of St Barbara (17th/18th c.). The other fittings are uniform and originate in the period of the foundation of the church. The ceiling in the nave, the framing of the rood beam, doorposts and the top of the choir are covered with painted decoration with floral motifs (oak leaves, pear, etc.), a Regency broken volute and festoon frieze of the 2nd quarter of the 18th century, with some later re-paintings.

The church is available from outside; access to the interior during services or after an arrangement with the parish priest.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 28-08-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 11: Miasto Opole i powiat opolski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, s. 79-81.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2011, s.40-41.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kolanowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district opolski, commune Łubniany
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area