Engine depot in the railway station complex, Kluczbork
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Engine depot in the railway station complex

Kluczbork

photo

One of the two roundhouses of the Kluczbork railway junction commissioned in the 2nd half of the 19th century.

History

The construction of the railway junction in Kluczbork was initiated in 1868 in connection with the opening of a line between Oleśnica and Fosowski. The house was used for parking, maintenance, and repair of locomotives. It is one of the two roundhouses in the complex of station (the other - the carriage depot - is located in Kolejowa Street). In the 1870s, the south part was completed. It was made of brick and covered with a massive roof of an iron, riveted construction. It adjoins a brick building from the south. In the second stage of the project, about 1900, the house was extended in the north-west direction relative to the semicircle plan, with the centrally located turntable. In the extended shape, the house had 23 locomotive bays in a fan-like arrangement. The building remained in use until 2002. The elements of the former, abandoned railway infrastructure are slowly disappearing from the railway landscape. Roundhouses can still be found in, for example, Glogów, Świdnica, or Poznan.

Description

The house stands southwest of the city, on the premises of an operative station, by the railway track. It consists of two main parts forming a half-circle with the turntable in the middle. The south part is built of brick and covered with a massive roof of an iron, riveted construction. It adjoins a brick building from the south. The slightly wider and lower north-west section was built as timber-frame construction with brick filling. It is covered with a pitched, wooden roof and linked on the west with a brick building with an irregular floor plan resembling the letter “L”. The south and west façades exhibit a articulation and modest architectural details in the form of panels, lesenes, and a brick frieze. The façade from the turntable side is dominated by the iron gate.

The south house is equipped with 15 maintenance holes, the north-west one with 7. The track from the turntable branches towards the maintenance holes through the sliding iron gates covered with corrugated sheet.

The turntable and the track to the maintenance holes have survived. The turntable operator station installed in a later period has been vandalized.

The monument is available to visitors from outside.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Kreuzburg. Stadt und Kreis in Oberschlesien. Geschichte und Erinnerung, Bearb. R. Dette, Duderstadt 1990.

General information

  • Type: railway infrastructure
  • Chronology: 3-4 ćw. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Generała Sikorskiego 18, Kluczbork
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Kluczbork - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area