Parish Church of the Mother of God the Help of the Faithful, Kluczbork
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Mother of God the Help of the Faithful

Kluczbork

photo

The neo-Gothic church with the original interior fashioned in the same style. The fittings from 1912-1913 allude to the history of the construction of the temple.

History

At the beginning of the 20th century, the Roman Catholics of Kluczbork gathered in Sts Peter and Paul Church which, at some point, appeared insufficient for the growing number of parishioners. A new and much larger temple was planned to be erected in the urban park, and its design was the responsibility of the Department of Ecclesiastical Buildings, the Ministry of Public Works in Berlin. The designers were Oskar Hossfeld and Carl Schaik. The site manager was Thomas Skaletz, and the construction took less than three years. The church was consecrated on 1 June 1913.

The stained-glass windows were produced by the Linnemanns in Frankfurt am Main. The altars and the pulpit were made by craftsmen from Munich and Erfurt, stalls and pews by carpenters from Żórawiny near Wrocław, and chandeliers by a blacksmith from Wrocław. The 32-stop organ was built the famous organ-builder Wilhelm Sauer. The church was equipped with steam heating and gas lighting. Out of three bells of 1911, only one survived. The rest were commandeered by the German army around 1943.

Description

The church is located in the south-east part of the city, at the city park. It is oriented towards the east. It has a nave and two aisles. It is built of brick on a cruciform plan with annexes. The north aisle adjoins a square bell tower topped by a high spire cupola. Its 1912 clock was made in Berlin. The body and the chancel are buttressed. The brick façades of the west gable and tower are articulated by pointed-arch, plastered blind windows, decorated with tracery frieze in the chancel.

The vaulted interior opens with pointed-arch arcades; the west section houses a choir. The north aisle has a gallery. The interior design and the overall architecture of the structure represent a stylistically unified neo-Gothic system. The original fittings include: the main altar of Our Lady, side altars of St Joseph and the Sacred Heart of Jesus, pulpit, font, organ, choir, stalls (with a bas-relief depicting the Rev. Johann Moschk, the origination of the construction), pews, and chandeliers.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kreuzburg. Stadt und Kreis in Oberschlesien. Geschichte und Erinnerung, Bearb. R. Dette, Duderstadt 1990.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 ćw. XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Skłodowskiej-Curie 8, Kluczbork
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Kluczbork - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area