Ancillary church of St Michael the Archangel, Jeżów Sudecki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Ancillary church of St Michael the Archangel

Jeżów Sudecki

photo

A cemetery church from the 16th century, erected as a sign of gratitude by the survivors of the plague. The church is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall. An example of a small rural church with both Gothic and Renaissance features.

History

The church was erected in 1574 and thoroughly restored a few years ago.

Description

The church is located at the south-eastern edge of the village, at a distance from the buildings which form the village proper. It is surrounded by an old cemetery. The church is designed in the Late Gothic style with Renaissance influences; oriented towards the east, it was envisaged as a small, aisleless structure, made of brick and split stone. The compact body of the building consists of a two-bay nave combined with a chancel, designed on a rectangular floor plan and topped with a tall gable roof clad with slate. An octagonal steeple with a slender spire, also clad with slate, rises from the roof ridge of the nave. An elongated annex having the same length as the main body adjoins it to the north, housing, among others, the sacristy; it is covered by an extended slope of the roof covering the nave. The façades are covered with plaster. The main entrance, located in the western part of the church, is framed by a plain sandstone portal with a gentle pointed arch. The entrance into the annex is similar in appearance, albeit topped with a semicircular arch. The tall, slender windows are positioned in the upper section of the walls; they are topped with semicircular arches and framed with sandstone surrounds with splayed reveals. The interior features barrel vaults with lunettes as well as wooden galleries supported by pillars with twisted shafts. The interior fixtures and fittings include the Baroque main altarpiece from the second quarter of the 17th century, the pulpit created in years 1654-68 as well as an 18th-century pipe organ casing. The cemetery surrounding the church is circumscribed by a stone wall.

The church is closed and is only used occasionally. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 27-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 4 Kotlina Jeleniogórska, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1999, pp. 249-250.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 371.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jeżów Sudecki
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district jeleniogórski, commune Jeżów Sudecki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area