Parish Church of All Saints - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. gostyński, gm. Borek Wielkopolski-obszar wiejski
On the west side, it is adjoined by a tower having a post-and-beam structure, covered with weatherboards, and topped with a four-pitched roof with a lantern. Inside, there are Baroque fittings and ceiling paintings from 1927 and 1958.
The Parish of All Saints was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1427. The first parish-priests were Michał and then Jan. The parish also covered the villages of Jawory and Wycisłowo. The first wooden church in Jeżewo was most likely built in the 14th century; it was mentioned in written documents dating from 1422. The present church, completed in 1740, was founded by Jan Rydzyński, the owner of the village. The church was consecrated by Józef Korytowski, suffragan bishop of Poznań, on 30 August 1789. The building was renovated in 1829 and 1841. In 1927, a vestibule, covered with weatherboards both inside and outside, was built onto the south wall of the tower porch. Moreover, the interior walls were decorated with paintings. The church was not used in the years 1939-1945. Until 1957, the parish was managed by Verbites; since then, it has been run by a diocese priest. In 1958, new ceiling paintings were made inside. They were designed and executed by the painter Grzeszczak from Poznań. The church underwent full-scale renovation and conservation works in the years 2008-2009.
The Church of All Saints in Jeżewo is a wooden building oriented towards the east. Aisleless, it has a polygonally-terminated chancel, lower than the nave, adjoined by two symmetrically situated chapels, terminated semi-hexagonally, on the north and south sides. On the west side, the nave is adjoined by a tower having a post-and-beam structure. It has two storeys separated with a skirt roof and is topped with an onion-shaped roof with a lantern. On the south-east side, there is a small sacristy covered with a mono-pitched roof. The church has a double wall structure: the exterior walls are reinforced with a ring of wooden beams having a rectangular cross-section, and that ring is reinforced with a frame structure supporting the roof truss. The external frame structure has no infill; it is only covered with vertically-positioned boards. The church is covered with a one-ridge roof typical of Greater Poland, with a steeple in the centre. The chapels have separate roofs. Inside, there is a flat ceiling covering both the nave and the chancel. It is adorned with paintings made in 1958 by a Poznań artist called Grzeszczak. The music gallery, having a protruding central part, is supported by six posts. The church fittings, uniformly Baroque, deserve particular attention. The Late-Baroque main altar comes from the mid-18th century. Its reredos incorporates a painting titled “All Saints”, painted by Wojciech Budzyński in 1746. The side altar in the north chapel was originally decorated with a Pieta sculpture (most likely, it was the well-known “Pieta of Jeżewo”, dating from the 14th century, which was handed over to the Archdiocesan Museum in Poznań after World War II). Currently, the reredos of the altar incorporates a painting with the same motif, dating from the mid-19th century. At the top, there is a painting of St Francis of Assisi from the 1st half of the 18th century; on the sides, there are Late-Baroque sculptures of St Adalbert and St John of Nepomuk. The side altar in the south chapel incorporates a Late-Baroque painting of St Benno; at the top, there is an image of St Nicholas from c. 1740, flanked by two sculptures: of St Barbara and of St Catherine. The church also features a Baroque pulpit crowned with a sculpture of Moses, a Baroque baptismal font in the shape of the Heart of Jesus, and a stoup in the shape of a chalice with a geometric ornament, dating from the 16th century. The confessionals were made in 1870. The church graveyard, covered with trees, is enclosed with a brick wall with a gate and wicket gates. To the south of the church, there is a bell tower founded by the heir to the village of Jeżewo in 1832. Built on a rectangular floor plan, it has a wooden post-and-beam structure and is covered with a gable roof with wood shingles. On one of the beams, there is an inscription: the date “1832” and the initials “F.G.”. Until 1939, the parish had three bells, which were also stolen by the Germans. Currently, the parish has only one large bell and one small bell.
The historic monument is accessible. More information about the parish is available on the following website: www.jezewo.powiatgostyn.pl
compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 27-10-2015.
- Jankowski A., Kościoły drewniane o zdwojonej konstrukcji ścian w Wielkopolsce, Bydgoszcz 2009, 224-227.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, woj. poznańskie, t. V, z. 4, pow. gostyński, oprac. T. Ruszczyńska, A. Sławska, Warszawa 1980, s. 23-24.
- Łukaszewicz J., Opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych w dawnej dyecezyi poznańskiej, t. II, Poznań, 1858, s. 138-139
- Plebański R., Renowacja zabytkowych obiektów sakralnej architektury drewnianej regionu Wielkopolski, w: Wielkopolski Biuletyn konserwatorski, t IV/2001, Poznań 2010, s. 93-94
- Zgodziński B., Województwo leszczyńskie, Warszawa-Poznań 1989, s.203
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.156437, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.45193