Augsburg Evangelical parish church of Our Saviour, Jelenia Góra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Augsburg Evangelical parish church of Our Saviour

Jelenia Góra

photo

The church is one of the most valuable examples of Protestant architecture combining elements of the Baroque and Rococo style anywhere in Silesia, featuring a lavishly appointed interior exhibiting an admirable consistency of style.

History

The church was erected in the years 1774-77, based on the design produced by Demus, an architect from Jelenia Góra, replacing an earlier, wooden church which had stood on the same site. The tower was only completed in 1779, having partially collapsed on 06.09.1776 during the construction process. The church was renovated on numerous occasions, including in years 1964-65, 1978-79 and 1987-88.

Description

The church is located in the centre of Cieplice. It is surrounded by a cemetery which currently serves as the churchyard. Designed in the Late Baroque style with Rococo influences, the church is oriented towards the east, its walls rising above a low, stone plinth. The church is designed on a rectangular floor plan, with a pair of broad yet shallow, semi-hexagonal avant-corps projecting from both of its longer sides. A three-storey tower designed on a square floor plan and flanked by a pair of annexes on the ground floor level adjoins the eastern side of the church. The main body of the church is covered by a two-tier hip roof clad with ceramic roof tiles, its surfaces pierced with a few eyebrow dormers. The tower is crowned with an octagonal cupola with a lantern. The façades of the church feature a plaster finish; those of the main body of the church are partitioned with pilasters and feature rounded corners. The corners of the first storey of the tower are adorned with decorative rustication, while those of the uppermost levels are truncated and accentuated with pilasters. The main body of the church features tall windows topped with semi-circular arches, framed with plain, sandstone surrounds with keystones and window sills. The windows of the tower are similarly disposed, albeit much smaller, featuring decorative surrounds with keystones and imposts. The windows of the annexes are topped with segmental arches. Entrances into the church are positioned on the middle axes of three of its façades; all of them are framed with profiled surrounds with keystones incorporating small cartouches in Rococo frames, the one above the southern portal bearing the date 1777. The interior features a wooden sail vault following a barrel-like shape, beneath which two-storey wooden galleries run alongside three sides of the interior, supported by slender pillars with Corinthian capitals. The sumptuous fixtures and fittings are designed in a mixture of the Rococo and Classicist styles and include an architectural main altarpiece with figures of St Peter and St Paul, supplemented by a painting of Jesus Christ created by Eduard Ihlée in 1870. Above the altarpiece rises an elaborate pipe organ casing and pulpit with a chalice-shaped casing adorned with figures of the Evangelists in haut-relief as well as a lavishly ornamented canopy with an ensemble of sculptures depicting the Resurrection of Christ (Heinrich Wagner, ca. 1777). Other notable items include the baptismal font (1742, relocated from the earlier church), crystal chandeliers crafted at the “Józefina” glassworks in Szklarska Poręba (early 19th century) and the wooden pews capable of accommodating up to 1200 faithful in total. The church is accompanied by the pastor’s house and the Evangelical school - a pair of Baroque buildings designed on a rectangular floor plan, situated alongside the Piastowski square. The pastor’s house was erected in 1744 and redesigned somewhere around the year 1930, with renovation works being carried out in 1971, while the school originates from 1749. Both buildings are covered with hip roofs and feature stone portals topped with overhanging arches.

The church interiors may be visited during church service. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 28-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 4 Kotlina Jeleniogórska, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1999, pp. 116-117.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 359-360.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: pl. Piastowski 18, Jelenia Góra
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Jelenia Góra, commune Jelenia Góra
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area