A chapel and a war cemetery, Jędrzejów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

A chapel and a war cemetery

Jędrzejów

photo

War cemetery with a unique (in Central Poland) wooden chapel with decorative carpentry and a field altar made of birch and pine branches.

History

The cemetery was established in 1915. It was then fenced by wooden stakes and steel wire on posts. It was accessible through two gates with the inscription K.u K. Militär Friedhof. In 1915, soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian army also built a chapel. A couple of years later, the cemetery was included into an expanding Catholic cemetery. In 1984, the parish of Cistercians in Jędrzejów renovated the chapel. In 1986, the crosses grouped by the chapel were re-arranged, and the area of cemetery was grassed and separated with a kerb. An information board was also installed.

Description

The cemetery forms a part of the parish graveyard of Blessed Vincentius de Cracovia at S. Konarskiego Street in the north-western part of the town. It is located in the eastern corner of the Catholic cemetery, to the left from the entrance, between the main alley and fencing. Is was created on a plan similar to a rectangle. 61 cast iron crosses are arranged in four rows and a grouping by the chapel. Behind the chapel, within a certain distance, there is a stone gravestone of Franciszek Trakan of 1915 in the form of a low obelisk with sculpted head of Jesus Christ. 84 Austro-Hungarian, 14 German, 45 Russian soldiers, 29 soldiers of unknown affiliation, and 4 legionaries were probably buried in the cemetery. The chapel is located in the western corner of the war cemetery. It is a wooden building on a rectangular floor plan sized 3.4x4.5 m, covered with weatherboards from the outside, with a gable roof covered with roofing paper, with a turret for a steeple. The front façade includes an octagonal portal made of beams, rectangular windows in side façades feature pointed-arch roofs in their top section, windows in gables are octagonal. Inside, there is a faux barrel vault. The walls are covered with weatherboards, signs of wallpaper are visible. The altar is made of birch and pine logs and branches. Two Greek crosses are nailed to the altar stone. In the predella, there is a painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary with Child in surrounds of branches, with a crucifix in the top section. In front of the entrance, there are two stone orbs on marble bases. Currently, the chapel is used as a warehouse.

The cemetery is generally accessible.

Compiled by Nina Glińska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Kielce, 26.11.2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna cmentarza, Jędrzejów-Podklasztorze. Cmentarz parafialny, compiled by Oettingen Urszula, Jędrzejów 1993, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Konserwatorskiego w Kielcach.
  • Oettingen U., Cmentarze I wojny światowej w województwie kieleckim, Warszawa-Kraków 1988, pp. 118-121.
  • Sabat T., Zub J., Konserwacja zabytkowych cmentarzy [in:] Cedro J. (eds.), Prace konserwatorskie w woj. świętokrzyskim w latach 2001-2012, Kielce 2014, pp. 180.

General information

  • Type: cemetery
  • Chronology: 1915 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Konarskiego , Jędrzejów
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district jędrzejowski, commune Jędrzejów - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area