Holy Trinity Church - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. oleski, gm. Rudniki
The parish was most probably established as early as in the 14th century, yet its functioning was first recorded in 1453. In the 16th century, it was incorporated into the parish in Parzymiechy as a filial church and restored no earlier than in 1919. Nevertheless, in the years 1570-1660, the filial church was a genuine center of the religious life of the parish because the parish church in Parzymiechy was then used by the Calvinists.
The existing church was built in the early 16th century, certainly before 1522. Its first known description dates from 1669. It was a general account that the church was “wooden, with a sacristy and bell tower; shingled, with wooden floors.” In 1767 the north chapel was added to the church opening to the nave. Opposite, the south, slightly larger chapel was attached in 1922, thus creating a transept. In the same year, the nave was extended westward and a new tower was erected. In the years 1924-26, the church was covered with weatherboard; it was thoroughly renovated in the 1970s and 1980s. After 1972 a bell tower was built; its ground level houses a morgue.
The church is a stand-alone structure surrounded by a cemetery with a wooden bell tower in the north-east corner and old trees; they stand out against the flat surrounding terrain. The church is oriented towards the east; it is built on a cruciform plan. The arms of the cross form two chapels with a three-sided termination. The chancel is shorter and two-bay, with a three-sided termination. A rectangular porch adjoins the body from the south, a square sacristy is situated in the north side, between the chapel wall and the chancel.
The church body is a single-tower, covered with a single-ridge, gable roof over the nave and the chancel, surrounded by wide, overhanging eaves. The tower is embedded about 2/3 into the body of the church. The church is built in a log structure, on a stone basecourse; the tower is a post-and-beam structure; sacristy walls are made of concrete. The ceilings are flat and wooden. The roof is shingled; the ave-bell turret and lantern are clad in sheet metal. The roof truss is reinforced with external hooks with oblique, short angle braces, decorated with inclined, double rolls.
The façades of the upper tower level are decorated with cut-out arcades, with false offsets between. Similar arcading can be seen between the hooks at the chancel. The church façades are covered with vertically-positioned weatherboards. The windows are rectangular, with semicircular transom windows.
The interior is a single-nave arrangement with the choir resting on two pillars. The fittings are varied, the oldest elements date from the turn of the 17th century (main altar).
The monument is available to visitors from outside; the interior can be seen only during the services or by arrangement with the parish priest.
Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 26.08.2014.
- Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 35.
- Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie kościoły drewniane, 2001, s. 30.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury „Kościół parafialny p.w. Świętej Trójcy”, tekst L.Pyrkosz, 1994, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.18490, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.19083