Filial Church of the Holy Trinity, Jasna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of the Holy Trinity

Jasna

photo

The filial Church of the Holy Trinity is one of the most impressive rural churches in the Powiśle region. It was built in the 1320s and is characterised by the preserved lavish Baroque furnishings from the 17th and 18th century.

History

The village of Jasna (Lichtenfeld, Lichtfelde) obtained a foundation charter in 1288-1289 from the commander of Dzierzgoń, Helwig von Goldbach, who donated two fiefs to the church. Some time thereafter, in the early 14th century, commander Sieghard von Schwarzburg gave the church three fiefs,

The preserved church in Jasna was most probably built in 1320-1330 (B. Schmid). There is a view that it was built in two stages: nave, tower and porch around 1320, and chancel with a sacristy in 1350 (M. Lubocka), as evidenced by the differences in the form of detail and the method of arrangement of the nave and the chancel.

During the war with the Teutonic Knights in 1410, the church was robbed and damaged (the cost of repair of 8,000 marks). The church suffered further damage, including the destruction of part of the structure by fire, in the first half of the 17th century during the Swedish wars. The construction and renovations works carried out in 1660-1673 involved extension to the ceiling over the nave and alterations to the gable of the tower. The church underwent further renovations in 1827, 1880-1881 and 1908; the gable-end of the porch was altered in the second half of the 19th century.

The Baroque furnishings originating from the 17th and 18th century have been preserved to this day.

Description

The church is located in the centre of the village, on the side of the former village square, and on the northern side of the road to Żuławka Sztumska; it is a free-standing and orientated structure surrounded by a graveyard. The boundaries of the eastern and southern graveyard are marked with a brick wall with a gate to the south.

The Gothic church was built on the floor plan of three rectangles resting on a common axis: nave (the widest, middle), chancel (narrower and elongated), and tower (floor plan approximating the shape of a square). The body is dominated by a massive five-storey tower covered with a gable roof. The tower adjoins the nave, which is evidently lower and covered with a gable roof with a pitch in the middle; a small square porch adjoins the southern side of the nave. To the east of the nave is a lower and narrower chancel with a gable roof; a tall gable with pinnacles is located to the east. The rectangular sacristy adjacent to the northern side of the chancel is covered with a shed roof. The church was built of brick laid in Polish (Gothic) bond; the lower sections of the tower are adorned with rhombic decoration made of headers of burr bricks. The roofs are clad with ceramic roof tiles. The roof truss is made of wood; the nave is topped by a beamed ceiling; the chancel features a stellar vault; and the porch below the tower is covered with a groin vault.

The church has brick facades supported by buttresses, which are partitioned by tall pointed-arch window openings, sometimes by blind windows. The face of the walls is fairly uniform; the top storey and gables (east and west) of the tower as well as blind windows are plastered. The west façade of the tower is pierced by a pointed-arch splayed portal; the gable is surmounted by a semi-oval jerkin head. The eastern façade is partitioned by three blind windows and crowned with a four-stepped gable with pinnacles; the gable features six axes running over the whole height of the pointed-arch blind windows.

The interior is aisleless; the porch below the tower opens towards the nave with a pointed-arch opening; the longitudinal walls of the nave under the ceiling feature an offset showing the original ceiling; the chancel is separated by means of a rood wall with an pointed-arch opening.

The preserved valuable original interior furnishings include the Baroque main altar from 1709; side Baroque altars from the early 18th c. and Renaissance altar from the 1st half of the 17th c., Baroque pulpit from the 2nd half of the 17th c., “The Flagellation of Christ” — painting from the 2nd half of the 17th c., and a rood beam with a “Passion” group from the late 17th c.

The structure is open to visitors. Viewing of the building is only possible by arrangement with the parish office in Żuławka Sztumska.

compiled by Teofila Lebiedź-Gruda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 02-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna (tzw. biała karta): Kościół parafialny pw. Trójcy Przenajświętszej, autor J. Gzowski, 1984, w zbiorach OT NID w Gdańsku.
  • Schmid B., Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Marienburg (Die Städte Neuteich und Tiegenhof und die lädlichen Ortschaften), Danzig 1919, s. 281-286.
  • Dehio-Handbuch der Kunstdenkmäler West- und Ostpreuβen, bearb. von M. Antoni, München-Berlin 1993., s. 361

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: lata 1320-1330 (1320-1350?)
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jasna 49
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district sztumski, commune Dzierzgoń - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area