Greek Catholic parish tserkva of St Nicholas, currently serving as the parish church of St Stanislaus, Jarczów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Greek Catholic parish tserkva of St Nicholas, currently serving as the parish church of St Stanislaus



One of the oldest surviving tserkvas in the Lublin region, with origins dating back to the 17th century, it remains an example of a rare design in which the belfry was positioned directly above the narthex.


The first recorded mention of the Jarczów tserkva dates back to 1531. The village was initially the property of the Jarczowski family and was later taken over by the Kurdwanowski family. The existing tserkva was most likely either built from scratch or created through the transformation of an earlier, 17th-century building; regardless of which of the above was actually the case, we know that the new tserkva was completed in 1755, at the time of the conferral of municipal rights, during the times of Maurycy Kurdwanowski. In 1870, the tserkva was taken over by the Orthodox church, with subsequent alteration works taking place between the late 19th and the early 20th century. It is believed that the belfry might have been placed above the narthex during that period; initially, the bells were installed in a free-standing bell tower. During the period in question, the building served as the filial tserkva of the parish in Chodywańce. In 1921, the tserkva became a Roman Catholic church. In 1947, a new parish was established in Jarczów, having been moved there from Chodywańce. Subsequent renovation works took place in years 1951, 1963 and in 2005-2006, the latter renovation being of a comprehensive nature.


The tserkva is located in the middle of the settlement, east of the market square. The tserkva is oriented towards the east. The building was designed on a tripartite floor plan consisting of an unusually broad, rectangular nave with two small sacristies forming an extension thereof; these sacristies are both positioned adjacent to the sides of the chancel, which features a semi-hexagonal termination. To the west, a square narthex adjoins the nave, with the belfry being positioned directly above; it is believed that the belfry was actually only moved there at a later date and was not a part of the original design. The tserkva is a wooden building made of wooden logs with saddle-notch corner joints, reinforced with hidden dowel pins and featuring protruding log ends of varying lengths. The sill plate is made of oak logs positioned on a brick foundation which was added at a later date (in the early 20th century). Both the nave and the chancel feature barrel vaults, with a flat ceiling being used for the narthex. An arch with a profiled rood beam rises between the nave and the chancel. The pipe organ gallery is located in the western part of the tserkva, resting upon a pair of pillars. The belfry above the narthex is a post-and-beam structure with an arcaded gallery in its upper part and a partially overhanging western section, supported by pillars reinforced with wooden braces; previously, the entire structure was covered with weatherboards. The upper sections of the façades of the nave and the chancel are covered with wood shingles, with decorative weatherboarding used for the belfry. The lower section is protected by a broad skirt roof resting upon the protruding ends of the structural logs. The individual sections of the building are covered with separate roofs, all of them clad with wood shingles. The nave features a gable roof while the roof above the narthex and the belfry is a three-sided design. The chancel features a gable roof with a three-sided termination. All roofs have pronounced eaves with a crown moulding running underneath. A steeple with a bulbous cupola rises from the roof ridge above the nave; another bulbous cupola adorns the roof of the belfry. The four-pane windows are rectangular in shape; the entrance doors are all single, planked items, some of them being original to the structure while others are newly made. All doors feature hinges and locks made at the local blacksmith’s workshops. Inside, the tserkva features original fixtures and fittings dating back to the 19th/20th century.

The historic building is partially accessible to visitors.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 11-12-2015.


  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 31-32.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Dawne województwo lubelskie, issue 17: Tomaszów Lubelski i okolice, Warsaw 1982, pp. 18-19.
  • Niedźwiedź J., Leksykon historyczny miejscowości dawnego województwa zamojskiego, Zamość 2003, pp. 198-200.
  • Żurawicka G., Kuśmierz L., Drewniane budownictwo sakralne: powiat Tomaszów Lubelski, powiat Hrubieszów, Lublin 2008, pp. 87-88.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jarczów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district tomaszowski, commune Jarczów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area