Graveyard Church of St Michael, Jabłonna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Graveyard Church of St Michael

Jabłonna

photo

The church, having a post-and-plank structure, built in the 16th century and restored in 1872, still retains its original form. It is an example of wooden ecclesiastical architecture in Greater Poland. The church along with the surrounding graveyard and old trees forms a historic spatial complex characteristic of the rural landscape of Greater Poland.

History

The Filial Church of St Michael, currently serving as the graveyard church of the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Jabłonna, was erected in the 16th century. From the 2nd half of the 16th century to 1614, it was a parish church. It underwent restoration works in 1872 and was renovated in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Description

The Filial Church of St Michael is situated at a graveyard in the eastern part of the village, at Kościelna Street, between roads leading to Kąkolewo and Grodzisk Wielkopolski. The graveyard is enclosed with a wooden fence with a large gate on the west side and a wicket gate with brick posts on the south side. There are still many old graves and trees in the graveyard. A cross stands by the church.

The church has no aisles. The chancel terminates in a semi-hexagon on the east side. The porch and the sacristy were added at a later date. The nave and the chancel have a common gable roof surmounted by a steeple with a lantern topped with a sheet metal cupola on the west side.

The church has a wooden post-and-plank structure resting on a brick and stone wall base. The walls are reinforced with vertical supports and covered with weatherboards. The roofs have sheet metal covering.

The church is open to visitors. More information is available on the website of the Poznań Archdiocese: www.archpoznan.pl

compiled by Radomiła Banach, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 18-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 94.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 28: powiat wolsztynski, Warszawa 1970, s.4.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna 10, Jabłonna
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district grodziski, commune Rakoniewice - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area