Former Uniate tserkva complex, currently serving as an Orthodox filial church of St Paraskeva and St Anthony of Kiev, Hola
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Former Uniate tserkva complex, currently serving as an Orthodox filial church of St Paraskeva and St Anthony of Kiev

Hola

photo

An example of an intriguing complex of wooden ecclesiastical buildings consisting of a tserkva and a bell tower dating back to the 19th century and bearing the hallmarks of the period architecture of the region, surrounded by a wall made of field stones.

History

The existing tserkva can trace its origins back to the years 1700-1702, when a new Greek Catholic temple was erected upon the ashes of the previous one that was consumed by the blaze. The tserkva underwent comprehensive restoration and alteration works on a number of occasions. In the years 1800-1803, the old narthex was dismantled and replaced with a new one, which currently constitutes the western part of the nave. In 1846, the original nave and chancel were replaced by new structures. In the course of renovation works which took place in years 1878-1879, the nave was combined with the narthex, with a new, lower narthex being added to the resulting structure. In 1941, the roof and the ceilings were destroyed by fire and were subsequently reconstructed, albeit in an altered form. The most recent renovation works took place in 2011 and included, among others, the replacement of the foundations, the sill plates and the exterior weatherboard cladding.

In 1875, the tserkva was taken over by the Orthodox Church. In 1924, the first Neo-Uniate parish in the Lublin region was established here. Today, the building serves as the filial tserkva of the Orthodox parish in Horostyta.

Description

The tserkva complex is located in the middle of the village, on the northern side of the main road, in the vicinity of a private open-air museum. The cemetery surrounding the tserkva, designed on an irregular quadrilateral plan, is surrounded by a wall made of field stones, with a wooden main gate and wicket gate. The bell tower rises in the south-western corner of the cemetery; the edges of the burial ground are overgrown by old trees. The tserkva is devoid of any features pointing towards a particular architectural style. The building is oriented towards the east. It was designed on a rectangular floor plan and follows an aisleless layout, with the chancel and the sacristy and treasury adjoining it to the north and south respectively; towards the west stands a small, low porch which precedes the nave of the tserkva. The entire structure is made of corner-notched pine logs positioned upon a low, brick foundation. The walls are clad with weatherboards and reinforced using vertical supports. The interiors of the tserkva feature flat, wooden ceilings. The rafter-and-beam roof truss is reinforced with collar beams. The nave and the chancel share a common gable roof, its planes extending to accommodate the sacristy and treasury; the narthex features a separate gable roof. Small, decorative cupolas rise from the roof ridges above both the nave and the narthex. The roofs are covered with sheet metal. The façades are covered with vertically positioned siding, greyish blue in colour, with the vertical supports being painted white. The window and door surrounds are dark grey in colour. Decorative fretwork pelmets can be seen extending from beneath the eaves. The windows are rectangular in shape, with the ones in the side walls of the nave and chancel being topped with semicircular arches. The windows in the western wall take the form of oculi. Inside, visitors can admire an iconostasis dating back to 1879.

The free-standing bell tower was most likely erected somewhere around the mid-19th century and is a two-storey building designed on a square floor plan. It is a wooden, corner-notched log structure, clad with weatherboards and covered with a tented roof clad with wood shingles. The corners of the building are covered with vertical boards, with the ones in the upper section of the tower designed to imitate rustication usually seen on brick or stone buildings. The walls are pierced with windows topped with semicircular and segmental arches on the ground floor and on the first floor respectively. The façades of the tower share the colour scheme with the tserkva and the wooden gates.

Access to the site is limited. The interiors can be visited during church service upon prior arrangement.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 16-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Parish tserkva of St Paraskeva and St Anthony of Kiev (...). Hola, compiled by B. Seniuk, 1990, Archive of the Regional Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments in Lublin, Chełm branch; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, issue 18: Powiat włodawski, compiled by Smulikowska E., Warsaw 1975, pp. 11-12.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1700-1702
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Hola 46
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district włodawski, commune Stary Brus
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area