Filial Church of St George, Hajduki Nyskie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The nave of the early Gothic church, significantly converted during the Baroque period, features a polychrome of the 15th century.

History

The temple was erected before 1300. In the 15th century, the nave wall were decorated in three phases: the painting on the south wall (ca. 1430-1440), a series of paintings on the north, west, and east walls (ca. 1490) and a heraldic motif, which around the year 1500 obscured the south corner of the scene. The Baroque conversion took place around 1700 when the new arrangement of the vaulting damaged the upper section of the polychrome. The then plastered paintings were uncovered in 1939. 2011 saw the restoration of the paintings on the north wall and partly on the south and west walls. On the rood wall, in its north section, a previously unknown painting was exposed, presumably dated from the 15th century.

Description

The brick church is made up of a buttressed nave, separate chancel and west tower. The sacristy was added later in the south part. The Baroque conversion partially blurred its former features, yet some Gothic wall paintings in the nave can still be admired. The south wall features the Wise and Foolish Virgins, this is the oldest painting resembling tapestries in its design. The coat of arms in its upper corner was added later. The entire north wall is covered in a series of paintings in three zones or separate quarters. They all bear inscriptions. Below, colorful painted draperies were “rolled out”. Part of the polychrome was damaged during the construction of the vaults and choir. The images in two west bays depict the scenes of the Passion, and the east bay reveals moralist themes and the scene of Crucifixion which is of greater size than the other scenes. Exposed in 2011, the east nave wall paintings depict the Mass of Saint Gregory and St Christopher. The Rococo equipment of the 18th to 19th century are: the main altar with the image of the Apotheosis of St George, two side altars, the pulpit, the confessional, and the font.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Dudała J., Szelwach R., Gotyckie polichromie w Hajdukach Nyskich, [w:] Opolski Informator Konserwatorski, Opole 2013, s. 67-84.
  • Malarstwo gotyckie w Polsce (Dzieje Sztuki Polskiej, t. II., cz. 3), red. S. Labuda, K. Secomska, Warszawa 2004.
  • Strzoda A., Długosz-Niedbalec K., Molenda A., Wykaz prac konserwatorskich przeprowadzonych przy zabytkach ruchomych na podstawie pozwoleń wydanych w 2010 roku, [w:] Opolski Informator Konserwatorski, Opole 2011, s. 16-17
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, oprac. zbior., Warszawa 2006.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Hajduki Nyskie
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Nysa - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area