Roman Catholic filial church of St George, Gorzupia Dolna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Roman Catholic filial church of St George

Gorzupia Dolna

photo

The church is a valuable example of medieval sacred architecture. Renaissance gravestones are embedded in its walls.

History

The oldest reference to the village of Gorzupia dates back to 1246. Another one, from 1353, is associated with the then priest, referred to as “Nicolaus plebanus de Gorup”. The church was erected in an earlier period, in the second half of the 13th century. Originally, it comprised a single-nave body with a chancel adjoining it from the east. Probably in the 16th century, a tower was added on the west, and by the northern wall of the chancel, a sacristy was built. During the same period, some of window openings were re-designed, the shape of the rood arch was modified, and the nave and the chancel were covered with a groin vault. In the years 1539-1668, the church remained in the hands of Protestants. In the 18th century, a porch was added to the southern wall of the nave, and next to the church, by its south-eastern side, a tomb chapel with a crypt was built.

Description

The church is located in the central part of Gorzupia Dolna, on the eastern side of the road running from Nowogród Bobrzański to Żagań, in the middle of a former graveyard circumscribed by a brick wall. The entrance to the church yard leads through a gate located in the southern section of the fencing, from a road leading to a former manor house. Next to the gate, there is a chapel.

The church is oriented. The single-nave body, built on a floor plan resembling a square, and a slightly narrower chancel with a straight-line ending section, adjoining the body from the east, were built from erratic boulders. The original walls have been preserved in their full height. The northern side of the chancel, along its full length, is adjoined by the sacristy. On the southern side of the nave, there is a porch built on a rectangular floor plan, and on the western side - a tower built on a square plan, octagonal in the upper section. The nave and the chancel are covered with tall gable roofs sharing the ridge. The northern plane of the chancel roof is extended over the sacristy. The tower is topped with a pyramid tented roof with an orb and a cross.

The plastered façades are articulated with window and door openings. The western window of the nave and the windows in the southern and eastern façade of the chancel have pointed arches in their top sections. Other openings are headed with semicircular arches arches. In all walls of the tower, at the level of the top storey, there are paired arched windows. Renaissance gravestones are embedded in the external walls.

The interior of the nave is covered with a lierne vault, the chancel and the porch - with a groin vault, and the sacristy - with a barrel vault. The nave is connected with the porch with a pointed-arch door opening framed in a stepped, profiled portal. In the church, a late Baroque altarpiece of St George has been preserved.

Next to the church, there is a tomb chapel with a crypt coming from the 18th century. It was built on a nearly square floor plan with one wall resting on the fence wall. It is covered with a tented roof. Its interior is covered with groin vaulting.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 26-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 122-123.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 111.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół pw. św. Jerzego, oprac. S. Kowalski, S. Dąbrowski, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gorzupia Dolna
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żagański, commune Żagań
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area