Parish church of St Anthony of Padua and Stanislaus Kostka, Gorzów Wielkopolski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of St Anthony of Padua and Stanislaus Kostka

Gorzów Wielkopolski

photo

Remains of one of the oldest buildings preserved in the area of the former Santockie Suburbs. Built in the 17th century, it was re-designed and modernised a couple of times over the next centuries.

History

The church, located at Staromiejski Square, was built in the years 1676-1704 to the order of the town council and the Elector of Brandenburg. It was erected in the place of a medieval chapel of St Gertrude and St Lawrence. The then church of Conciliation was used both by Lutherans as well as Calvinists. Also Catholics used the church until their own temple was built. In the years 1864-1865, the church of conciliation was re-designed in neo-Romanesque style. On the western side, a tower was built which, in 1911, was destroyed in a fire caused by a lightning strike. A new tower was built only in 1923. After World War II, the church remained unused for many years. The full-scale renovation works were carried out in the 1970s. At that time, the building was adapted to use as a Catholic church.

Description

Parish church of St Anthony of Padua and Stanislaus Kostka is a brick, aisleless building erected on a rectangular floor plan. The body is adjoined from the east by a sacristy, and from the west by a tower. It is covered with a gable roof, and the tower, which has quadrangular outline, are topped with pinnacles with an octagonal steeple and a high pyramid-shaped tented roof. On the ground floor of the tower, there is an entrance with a semi-circular top section. In front of the entrance, there is a monumental large-leaved lime, 25 m high and with trunk diameter of 4.2 m. In the church, which was re-designed in contemporary times, there are no historical fittings. It is known that after the war, there was a neo-Baroque baptismal font here which were transferred to the church of the Holy Trinity located in the district of Wieprzyce in Górzów Wielkopolski.

The building is accessible all year round.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 30-09-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 30, fot. 5.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 106.
  • Skaziński B. (B.S.), Gorzów Wlkp., [w:] Zabytki północnej części województwa lubuskiego (red. J. Lewczuk, B. Skaziński), Gorzów Wlkp.-Zielona Góra 2004, s. 22-23.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1674-1704
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district Gorzów Wielkopolski, commune Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area