Filial church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland, Gorzów Wielkopolski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Poland

Gorzów Wielkopolski

photo

An example of an interesting sacred building with a uniform body, erected in the Classicist style.

History

In 1372, there was a church in Karnin, but the one which has survived to this day was built in 1822 as a Protestant congregation. In 1828, a tower was built on the western side. Subsequent works were carried out around mid-19th century. At that time, the church was renovated a couple of times. In 1904, it was extended by a sacristy and an apse.

Description

The church in Karnin is an Classicist aisleless building. The nave body, built on a rectangular floor plan, is covered with a gable roof, the apse - with a multi-pitched roof, while the tower - with a pyramid tented roof. Windows of the nave are rectangular and semi-circular. Façades are enlivened by niches with semi-circular top sections, cornices, and rustication. The church can be accessed by the main entrance located on the ground floor of the tower. In the nave, covered by a ceiling, there are a couple surviving elements of the former fittings: part of galleries by side walls, and music gallery with a pipe organ casing. The historical fittings also include the former Protestant altarpiece, currently without a pulpit decker. The altarpiece can be seen in the chancel which is covered with a groin vault.

The building is available during services or upon prior appointment with the parish priest.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 20-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 86-87, fot. 43.
  • Reißmann K. (oprac.), Die Kunstdenkmäler des Stadt- und Landkreises Landsberg (Warthe), Berlin 1937, s. 79-80.
  • Skaziński B. (B.S.), Karnin, [w:] Zabytki północnej części województwa lubuskiego (red. J. Lewczuk, B. Skaziński), Gorzów Wlkp.-Zielona Góra 2004, s. 36-37.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1822 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district Gorzów Wielkopolski, commune Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area