So-called White Granary – currently a museum, Gorzów Wielkopolski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

So-called White Granary – currently a museum

Gorzów Wielkopolski

photo

A valuable example of a post-and-beam building from the 18th century with sumptuous and variegated carpentry.

History

The granary was built in the area of the former Bridge Suburbs that was created by the Warta river crossing. The suburbs began to develop in the early modern times, especially in the 19th century when the industry in Gorzów intensely developed. The granary was erected after 1772, during the period of reinvigoration of shipping on the Warta river, after the Bydgoszcz Canal was opened. At that time, a colonisation actions were also carried out in connection with the draining works conducted in the areas by the Warta river, in the Gorzów region. The building had been used for crop storage for 200 years, until 1975. In years 1980-1988, the facility underwent a full-scale renovation and was handed over to the Jan Dekert Lubusz Museum. In the years 2007-2011, another modernisation of the former granary took place: elements of the roof truss and roof cladding were replaced along with some of the windows, the post-and-beam structure underwent conservation works, the attic was insulated, and the façades renovated.

Description

The White Granary is a three-storey building based on a post-and-beam structure, with a brick ground floor, erected on a rectangular floor plan with dimensions of 14 by 57 m. Originally, on the ground floor of the gable walls, there were two gates leading to utility premises. In addition, longer walls were crossed by six gates leading to the hall. In the attic, rope lifts were installed to transport crops through hatchways. The crops were stored on individual storeys. In the open branch of the Jan Dekert Lubusz Museum, opened after a full-scale renovation in 2011, there is an exhibition “Gorzów na szlakach historii” [“Gorzów - following the footprints of history”], presenting, among other things, a model of a 17th-century town, granary reconstruction with the functions from the 18th century, history of wars and natural disasters until World War I. Part of the exhibition, entitled “Age of steam and electricity”, offers the visitors to learn about the vicissitudes of the Gorzów industry.

The facility is accessible during the opening hours of the museum.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 16-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 36, fot. 15.
  • Skaziński B. (B.S.), Gorzów Wlkp., [w:] Zabytki północnej części województwa lubuskiego (red. J. Lewczuk, B. Skaziński), Gorzów Wlkp.-Zielona Góra 2004, s. 19

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: po 1772 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Fabryczna 1, Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district Gorzów Wielkopolski, commune Gorzów Wielkopolski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area