The Muszyn manor house, Gorzanów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The manor house is an example of a Renaissance residence designed on a relatively small scale. It also showcases how the full-fledged Silesian Renaissance architecture was able to combine both modern and traditional forms, the latter harking back to the Late Gothic period. The manor house also features a portal of an outstanding artistic value, reminiscent of the works of the Italian Renaissance.

History

Before the mid-14th century, three large manors were formed in the Gorzanów area - the Castle Manor as well as the estates owned by the von Ratschin and the von Moschen families, with each of these manors having its own mansion. The manor house in the von Moschen family estate, currently known as the Muszyn manor house, was erected in 1574; however, both the mansion and the accompanying grange were lost to the blaze in 1617. In 1622, the von Moschen lost their property as a form of punishment for their support of Protestantism. The land was taken over by the Imperial confiscation commission and subsequently sold in years 1623-1624 to the von und zu Anneberg baronial family, who merged it with the estate surrounding the Gorzanów castle. The Muszyn manor house has lost its former status and became just another residential building in the surrounding manor farm. As such, it was only restored where necessary, e.g. in 1821, when its interiors were partially transformed, with the eastern part of the ground floor section receiving a sail vault supported by structural arches. The building also received a tall hip roof. The arrangement of window openings in the front façade was modified, with the new façade décor being rather austere in appearance, featuring, among others, a series of Neoclassicist cornices above the windows. The stone portals inside the house as well as the Renaissance vaulted ceilings were preserved intact. The building was renovated after 1945.

Description

The Muszyn manor house is located south of the Gorzanów palace complex, on the western side of the Nysa river. It is situated in the northern part of the manor farm. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it features a vestibule stretching across the entire width of the building, separating the side sections which follow a two- and three-bay layout respectively. The two-storey manor house is covered with a tall hip roof. The front façade features a regular arrangement of window openings surmounted by profiled cornices. In the very centre of the front façade there is a stone portal, designed in the Renaissance style and adorned with an alternate arrangement of medallions decorated with rosettes as well as quoined panels. The upper part of the lintel bears the inscription with the date 1574. A profiled cornice can be seen above the portal. The portal which frames the entrance in the rear façade is completely different in terms of its form and appearance. It is a stone portal with a chamfered lintel terminating with dovetails, its overall appearance being very much in the Late Gothic tradition. The basements underneath the manor house feature stone barrel vaults, while the ceiling in the vestibule and the room on the western side thereof is covered with a Renaissance double barrel vault with pronounced groins. These groins, combined with the ribbed decoration, come together to form a decorative arrangement inspired by the forms of Late Gothic lierne vaults. The circular rosettes reminiscent of vault keystones, placed at the intersections of the faux ceiling ribs, are likewise inspired by Late Gothic art. The interiors on the eastern side of the vestibule feature sail vaults supported by structural arches. The inner portals feature preserved original wooden planked doors.

Private property — the structure can be viewed from the outside. Interiors may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Iwona Rybka-Ceglecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 02-07-2015.

Bibliography

  • Kögler J., Historische Beschreibung der Pfarrei Grafenort, 1807, Vierteljahrschrift für Geschichte und Heimatkunde der Grafschaft Glatz, Bd. VII, 1887/8.
  • Patzak B., Der Ratschin- und der Moschenhof in Grafenort, Glatzer Heimatblätter, 16, 1930.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Bystrzycka 8, 8a, Gorzanów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district kłodzki, commune Bystrzyca Kłodzka - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area