Chapel of St Stanislaus the Bishop, also known as the Chapel by the Water, Górecko Kościelne
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Chapel of St Stanislaus the Bishop, also known as the Chapel by the Water

Górecko Kościelne

photo

An example of traditional ecclesiastical architecture, commemorating the age-long traditions of the cult of St Stanislaus the Bishop, this chapel forms an important part of an architectural ensemble which, in turn, remains a significant component of a larger spatial complex known for its outstanding landscape value.

History

Górecko Kościelne is a former forest settlement previously known as Huta or Wola Górecka, forming part of the Szczebrzeszyn estate which remained in the hands of Jan Zamoyski, the great crown hetman, from 1593 onwards. According to traditional beliefs, it was here that the revelation of St Stanislaus the Bishop and Martyr took place on 7 October 1648; initially, a wooden chapel was erected on the site of the revelation, followed by a wooden church, two shrines dedicated to the cult of St Stanislaus as well as a small Franciscan monastery, erected in 1668 for the funds provided by Marcin Zamoyski, the podstoli (deputy pantler) of Lviv who later went on to become the great crown vice treasurer. The entire parish remained under the administration of the Franciscan monks right until the dissolution of the monastery in 1864 and was intended as a sign of gratitude for the victorious battle of Chocim. The current chapel, known as the “Chapel by the Water”, was built after 1881, also replacing an earlier structure which stood on the same site. Renovation works were carried out in 1910 (construction of concrete supports and joists) and in 1946 (replacement of the original wood shingle cladding with sheet metal, reconstruction of the steeple).

Description

The chapel is located by the Szum river, partially extending above the river itself; initially the structure stood on wooden piles; these were later replaced by a system of concrete posts and joists as the original timbers began rotting away. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, the chapel features a semi-hexagonal termination in the chancel section, its interior being a single, open space. Built using pinewood logs, its corner-notched structure is clad with vertically arranged board and batten siding. The chapel features a gable roof with a three-sided termination above the chancel, clad with sheet metal. A quadrangular steeple rises above the roof ridge, covered with a tented roof with a spire and cross on top. The pronounced eaves of the roof, supported by wooden posts, serves to protect the wooden deck with balustrade which runs around the chapel itself. The interior is covered with a false barrel vault. The front (eastern) façade is crowned by the triangular, pediment-like gable; it follows a single-axial design with a rectangular entrance in the centre, featuring a wooden, studded double door with planks arranged in a herringbone pattern. Each of the side façades features a rectangular window. Inside, visitors can admire an altarpiece incorporating the image of St Stanislaus the Bishop, dating back to the 19th century.

The historic monument may be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 06-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Kościoły drewniane Zamojszczyzny, Zamość 1986, p. 45.
  • Grzelachowski S., Sanktuarium w puszczy, “Spotkania z Zabytkami, 2002, no. 7, pp. 23-25.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, issue 3: Powiat biłgorajski, compiled by Kwiczala M., Szczepkowska K., Brykowski R., Warsaw 1960, p. 10.

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: 1881 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Górecko Kościelne
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district biłgorajski, commune Józefów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area