Filial Church of St Nicholas and Our Lady of Częstochowa - Zabytek.pl
Filial Church of St Nicholas and Our Lady of Częstochowa
woj. opolskie, pow. oleski, gm. Gorzów Śląski - obszar wiejski
The temples originating mostly in the 17th and 18th centuries are inextricably linked with the rural landscape of the Opole region. As the oldest examples of wooden architecture, they are one of the most valuable monuments of the cultural heritage of the region.
The history of the church is not thoroughly clear. The temple was mentioned in the records in 1353. The present church is believed to have been erected at the turn of the 17th century. In 1684 Rosina Maria Kuschenbohr founded the church bell cast by Sigismund Götz in Wrocław. It is therefore likely that the church was founded before 1684 and was rebuilt later. In the second half of the 20th century, the exterior of the church was altered: the walls were covered with vertical weatherboards, the entrance to the founder’s lodge over the sacristy was obscured and its roof was lowered. The interior was clad with wooden paneling. The church was renovated in 2004. Today, the Filial Church of St Nicholas and Our Lady of Częstochowa is now part of the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Zdziechowice, created in 1677.
The church is located in the heart of the village, at the fork of the road. In the past, it was surrounded by a cemetery, of which only single gravestones have survived. It is oriented towards the east. Its nave is almost square with the chancel terminated with a triangular wall; the sacristy is on the north side. On the west side, the nave adjoins a square tower and on the north a small porch.
The temple is made of wood assembled in a log structure; its tower is a post-and-beam structure clad with vertical weatherboards. Pitched, shingled roofs; the roof over the chancel is lower and closed on three sides, with the north pane extending over the sacristy. The tower with slightly tapered walls is covered with an octagonal roof at the height of the ridge of the nave; above, there is an octagonal turret covered with a metal sheet-clad cupola with a ball and cross.
The church can be entered by openings in the tower ground floor, in the north wall of the nave and the sacristy. Over the sacristy, there is a staircase to the founder’s lodge which opens to the interior of the chancel with a rectangular opening. The choir is accessible by stairs at the north wall of the porch; it is supported on six pillars. Over the nave and sacristy, there are beamed ceilings with boards and a false barrel vault over the chancel. The historical furnishings of the church consist of Baroque architectural altars: the main and side ones, a pulpit of the 1st half of the 18th century with the statues of the Evangelists, and images and the Way of the Cross of folk character. In the ground floor of the tower, there is the tombstone of Hans von Kuschenbohr who died in 1684.
The site is freely accessible from outside; viewing of the interior is only possible during the services or by arrangement with the parish priest.
Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 30.07.2014.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, z. 10, red. T. Chrzanowski i M. Kornecki, s. 4,5.
- Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 29.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.18936, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.17267