Church of Our Lady of the Scapular (formerly St Michael’s Church), Gierszowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of Our Lady of the Scapular (formerly St Michael’s Church)

Gierszowice

photo

Erected at the beginning of the 14th century, the church in Gierszowice boast an almost intact Gothic body with preserved architectural details.

History

The church in Gierszowice was built in the 3rd quarter of the 13th century, probably founded by the owners of the village, that is, the nobility from Pogorzela. At first, it was dedicated to St Michael. In the 15th century, the temple was surrounded by a stone wall with buttresses, and the nave was decorated with a sgraffito frieze with tracery motifs. From 1534 to 1945, the church remained in the hands of the Protestants; today, it is a filial church of the parish in Krzyżowice. In the 1960s and 1970s, the Baroque furnishings and galleries encircling the chancel were removed. Also, the choir and pews were dismantled.

Description

The church in Gierszowice is in the middle of the village. It is surrounded by a stone wall with buttresses and brick gates on the east, south and north-west.The church is oriented towards the east, made of brick and buttressed; it has a rectangular nave with an integrated quadrilateral tower a porch on the south side. The chancel was built on a rectangular floor plan. It is terminated with a straight wall. The sacristy was added south of it. The nave is slightly broader than the chancel. The nave, chancel and porch roofs are covered with double-pitched roofs; the sacristy is covered with a lean-to roof.

The church façades are not plastered; a narrow strip of sgraffito decoration is preserved under the eaves of the nave and a brick frieze in the chancel. They are articulated by pointed-arch window openings, splayed on both sides. The west façade is divided by buttresses: two external and two internal that transform into lesenes in the upper section. At the top of the tower, in its side façades, there are three window openings, each segment-headed; the middle one is bigger and flanked by the two smaller ones. The east and west façade of the tower are crowned with triangular gables.

The chancel is covered with a cross-ribbed vault, and the nave is covered with a flat ceiling that used to be which was covered with painted decoration templates as in the case of the ceiling of the church in Małujowice. This decoration was damaged or painted over during the works in 1933.

Inside the church (in the porch), there is an early Gothic, stone portal with rich profiling and crockets in the archivolt - now painted over (in an imitation of brickwork).

The monument is open to visitors. The church falls under the parish in Krzyżowice

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 02-06-2015 r.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 6: Powiat brzeski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1961, s. 36-37.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury- kościół filialny pw. Matki Bożej Szkaplerznej w Gierszowicach, oprac. J. Banik, J. Szot, 2008, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu
  • http://www.dladziedzictwa.org/2012/01/15/gotycki-kosciol-w-gierszowicach/

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 3 ćw. XIII w
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gierszowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Olszanka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area