Cemetery chapel, Dziergowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The 18th-century cemetery chapel in Dziergowice is one of the few preserved timber-frame structures in the area. Along with the late 18th-century cemetery and St Anne’s Church, the chapel is a distinctive landmark in the local landscape.

History

The first mentions of the settlement of Dziergowice date back to the end of the 13th century. First, at the onset of the 17th century, the wooden St Anne’s Church was built with a cemetery set up a short time after. In 1794 a stone chapel was erected on the cemetery premises, funded by the local miller Jan Jaskóła.

Description

The chapel is located in the north-west corner of the church cemetery in Dziergowice, near the Parish Church of St Anne.

It consists of two integral parts: the major part (serving as a morgue), rectangular with the timber-frame structure with the brick filling and plastered on both sides with the entrance from the north-west and the minor part (serving as a shrine), rectangular and made of brick and with the entrance from the south-east. The doorways and windows in the main part are rectangular; a semicircular, shingled roof protects the entrance. The chapel lights and doors are topped with round arches. The chapel is covered with a gable roof (morgue) and tent roof topped with a conical turret (chapel). The north and south façades of the morgue are divided into five equal quarters by posts; in the outer quarters, some raking shores can be seen. The doorway beams are decorated with geometric patterns.

The chapel reveals a stone altar with a wooden block built into the altar top reading: FUNDATOR YOANES YASKOŁKA MENORZ ANO 1794 (FOUNDER YOANES YASKOŁKA, MILLER, IN THE YEAR 1794).

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 08-01-2015 r.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 5: Powiat kozielski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1965, s. 9.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury - kaplica cmentarna w Dziergowicach, oprac. W. Żurakowski, 2005, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.
  • http://dziergowice-wsi.dzs.pl/ (08.01.2015 r.)

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: 1794
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dziergowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kędzierzyńsko-kozielski, commune Bierawa
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area