The Greek Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, now the filial church of the Żniatyn parish, Dłużniów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Greek Catholic Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, now the filial church of the Żniatyn parish

Dłużniów

photo

The monument is a valuable example of a wooden Greek Catholic church characteristic of the southern part of the Lublin region. The church was erected in 1882 and is the largest in the group of three-cupola churches. The essential feature that distinguishes it from other churches is its monumental and slender silhouette.

History

The present church which was built in 1882 and consecrated in 1895 was another Greek Catholic church on this site and after the Second World it was acquired by the Roman Catholic Church. Today, it serves as a filial church of Żniatyn parish. During the 1930s, it was renovated. Between 2005 and 2006 the church underwent complete renovation, which included replacement of the roofing, replacement of damaged structural elements of walls, foundations, cupolas and stair cases, conservation of window and door joinery, and architectural detail.

Description

The church is situated on a hill, which can been accessed by brick stairs, surrounded by trees and the remnants of a brick fence. The church is located near w brick bell tower dating from the early 20th century. The building is oriented, built on a tripartite floor plan, and consists of a square nave, a narrower square narthex and a rectangular three-sided chancel with sacristy on both sides. Each of the sections is covered with an elongated eight-faced cupola crowned with a lantern with a bulbous dome. The domes are mounted on high octagonal tambours. The interior of a dome features a faux eight-faced ceiling, while a sacristy a simple ceiling. The church is made of wooden logs and covered with weatherboards. The domes and roofs are covered with sheet metal. All facades and tambours are covered with vertical weatherboards with batten siding. The lower part of the facade features wide eaves supported by decoratively profiled ends of logs projecting from a wall. Pillar porches covered with gable roofs (probably from the early 20th century) are located immediately in front of the main entrance and side entrances to the nave. The window openings are rectangular, consist of multiple panes; in the nave, narthex and chancel they are closed segmentally and framed by a surrounds. An iconostasis has been preserved in the interior to this day.

The monument is open to visitors.

Compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 24.08.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, pp. 12-13, fig. 6.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. 8: Województwo lubelskie, issue 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, Warsaw 1964, p. 5, fig. 43.
  • „Wiadomości Konserwatorskie Województwa Lubelskiego” 2006, vol. 8, p. 54.
  • „Wiadomości Konserwatorskie Województwa Lubelskiego” 2007, vol. 9, p. 57.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1882
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dłużniów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district hrubieszowski, commune Dołhobyczów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area