The St Paraskeva Greek Catholic parish tserkva complex, Dąbrowica
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The St Paraskeva Greek Catholic parish tserkva complex

Dąbrowica

photo

The church is an example of a brick and stone tserkva - a form devised by Ukrainian architects in the course of their search for a distinctive national style. The tserkva was designed by a renowned architect Vasyl Nahirny. It remains one of the most impressive buildings designed by this architect among all of his surviving works in the Podkarpackie voivodeship, both in terms of their architectonic and landscape value.

History

The tserkva complex was erected around the year 1906, replacing an even older tserkva complex which stood in that location. The earlier tserkva was a wooden structure erected in years 1664-1667. The existing building was erected to a design by Vasyl Nahirny in 1906; the belfry and fence were also most likely built during that period. From February 12, 1948, the tserkva is under the administration of the priests from the nearby Polish Colony and serves as the filial church of Archangel Michael. The tserkva underwent renovation works in 1967 and 1972. A thorough restoration was performed in years 1998-2003; the exterior and interior plasterwork was replaced, as were the dome windows and the gutters.

Description

The tserkva complex is located in the southern part of the village, to the north-west of the crossroads where the roads leading through the village intersect. The church stands on a low hill and is surrounded with a low stone wall that also serves as a retaining wall. The area of the complex is accessible from the west, through the main gate and two small gateways or through another gate in the east. The belfry located north of the main gate is incorporated into the wall. North of the chancel of the tserkva there is a gravestone of the local parson, Mikołaj Dobczyński, who died on 22.06.1944.

The tserkva is built in the neoclassical style; it is a brick building oriented towards the east, erected on a Latin cross floorplan, with two auxiliary chambers flanking the chancel. The tserkva features a single-nave layout with a transept and a chancel which terminates in a semicircular apse. The tall, cross-shaped body of the building is dominated by the dome, perched atop a monumental tholobate whose walls are pierced with arched windows. The tserkva is set atop a tall stone plinth, its facades decorated with pilasters and a simplified entablature with triglypghs. The architect of the building has placed the greatest emphasis on the decor of the front facade, which takes on the form of a monumental four-columned portico. The two pairs of columns of the portico are set atop tall plinths and support a tympanum bearing an inscription that reads: 1906. / СЪ НАМИ БОГЪ ! The interior of the tserkva features a restrained architectural decor in the form of pilasters adorning the walls at the intersection of the nave and the transept, a meander frieze in the upper portion of the walls as well as pronounced entablature at the base of the tholobate. The original fittings of this Greek Catholic tserkva, made after the church itself was built, have largely survived to the present day. The carpentry of the iconostasis, the holy table, two side altars and the confessionals was made by Edward Toth, who, according to local sources, came to live in Dąbrowica at the express request of the founders of the tserkva - the members of the Czartoryski family in Sieniawa. The brick belfry features a triple arch and a small storage closet in the upper part of the plinth. The wall around the tserkva is made of brick and stone, reinforced using massive buttresses.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Bartosz Bodubny, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 19.08.2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna, Dąbrowica, Cerkiew greko-katolicka p.w. św. Paraskewy ob. rzym.-kat. kościół filialny p.w. św. Michała Archanioła w zespole cerkwi, oprac. Podubny B., 2010, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków Delegatura w Rzeszowie.
  • Krasny P., Architektura cerkiewna na ziemiach ruskich Rzeczpospolitej 1596-1914, Kraków 2003.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, Seria Nowa, t. 3: Województwo Rzeszowskie, z. 4: Leżajsk, Sokołów Małopolski i okolice, Warszawa 1989.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1906 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dąbrowica
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district leżajski, commune Kuryłówka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area