Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic filial Church of the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary - Zabytek.pl
woj. zachodniopomorskie, pow. gryficki, gm. Karnice-gmina wiejska
It is an example of a small aisleless (and towerless) church characterised by an original architectural form (with a roof overhang for a bell), with a fully preserved half-timbered structure of the walls and historic interior fittings.
The church was erected in 1604, as evidenced by the inscription beam in the eastern wall and the method used to work the wooden wall framework and roof truss. It was founded by the municipal authorities of the town of Trzebiatów and constructed by a certain Hans Bollman. Originally, it was an Evangelical chapel which was part of the parish in Cerkwica and used only a few times a year. In 1681, the church was decorated with a Gothic altar triptych and crucifix, which were transferred from Cerkwica and Kamień Pomorski. In 1768, a roof overhang was added over the western top, where a bell was placed. In 1784, the interior of the church and fittings were decorated with new paintings (author: Fr. Böseke from Trzebiatów). In 1798, a half-timbered sacristy was added to the southern wall; the sacristy was moved to the western wall in 1934 (during complete renovation of the church). On 19 February 1947, the church was consecrated as a Roman-Catholic Church of the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary belonging to the Parish of St Joseph in Cerkwica. During the 1960s/1970s the interior of the church was repainted, and in the 1980s the roof was renovated and part of the joinery was replaced.
The church is located in the middle of the village, on a village square, directly on the southern side of the pond; the church land is surrounded by rural roads on three sides. The temple is oriented, aisleless (towerless), and represents the regional half-timbered architecture. The nave was built on a rectangular floor plan, measures 11.7 m by 8.2 m, and is covered by a gable roof with a small roofed structure projecting horizontally from the western gable. The western wall adjoins a small annex measuring 3.9 m by 3.5 m, which is covered by a gable roof. The walls feature a half-timbered (timber frame) structure infilled with bricks and unplastered spaces between the rafters. The wooden framework made of oak forms a regular truss consisting of rhythmically spaced columns, embedded in the sill plates in the lower sections and fastened with top plates in the upper sections, and three levels of transoms; the corners of the walls are reinforced by short angle braces. The walls of the western annex (sacristy) also feature a half-timbered structure, with long braces. The ceiling is made of wood, beamed (with wooden boards laid on the beams), and reinforced by angle braces adjacent to the walls. The church features the original roof truss of the nave (17th century) with a rafter and double collar structure, single queen-post supports stabilised by angle braces and struts. The roofs over the sacristy and bell are made of wood and feature rafter framing. The roofs are clad with ceramic beaver tail tiles laid in a fish scale-like pattern. The façades featuring the original arrangement and décor based on the “drawing” of the wooden framework and the brick face of the spaces between the transoms, with highly placed windows. The façades are characterised by a variety of axial divisions and do not represent any specific style; the eastern wall features a cap beam with the date of construction  and renovation of the church . The preserved historical fittings include: Renaissance basket ambo, organ gallery with a planked balustrade and fifteenth-century bell. In the church there is a reproduction of a Gothic altar triptych (“Triumph of Mary”), which was transferred to a cathedral in Szczecin.
The structure can be viewed from the outside. The interior may be accessed with the consent of the parish priest.
compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 08-05-2015.
- Balke F., Pommersche Denkmalpflege 1931-1933, Stettin 1935.
- Lemcke H., Die Bau - und Kunstdenkmäler des Regierungsbezirks Stettin, Hf. IV: Der Kreis Greifenberg und Kammin., Stettin 1914.
- Nowakowska M., Kościół fil. p.w Zwiastowania NMP w Ciećmierzu. Dokumentacja etnograficzno-konserwatorska, Szczecin 1984 (m-pis).
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_32_BK.108733, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_32_BK.390503