Parish Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Cibory-Kołaczki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Cibory-Kołaczki

photo

One of the most valuable monuments of wooden sacred architecture in the Podlasie Voivodeship. The church belongs to the group of wooden Baroque churches built on the borderland between the Mazovian Voivodeship and the Podlasie Voivodeship around the mid-18th century. It is an example of a type of church without a tower, which features a nave structure, narrower presbytery and front avant-corps covered by a common roof with a steeple jutting out from the roof ridge.

History

The church was built in 1742 as a parish church in the Zawady commune on the site previously occupied by wooden churches. The building underwent restoration works, during which between 1789 and 1796 its log construction was strengthened with clamps; in 1839, the interior of the church was decorated with wall paintings, which were made by Jan Czarnowski from Tykocin, and funded by heir to the Zawady commune Józef Suchodolski. In 1883, the church was repainted and decorated with wall paintings on the ceilings of the naves, depicting the Immaculate Mother of God, Apocalyptic Lamb, emblems of Faith, Hope and Love. The interior was fitted with three eclectic altars and a neo-mannerist ambo. After a new church, of brick, was built in the Zawady commune in 1956, in 1979 the old church was demolished and relocated to the village of Cibory Kołaczki in the Zawady commune, where after complete restoration it now serves as a filial church.

Description

Situated in the north-western part of the village, in the fenced quadrangular churchyard cemetery, with a bell tower in the north-west corner. Oriented. An example of Baroque architecture.

The church was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a narrower presbytery surrounded by a straight wall on the east side and two sacristies on its both sides. A three-storey avant-corps juts out from the front of the building. Its ground floor contains a rectangular porch. The main body and front avant-corps are covered with a gable roof; the presbytery with a three-sided roof, and sacristies with a shed roof. A decorative quadrangular steeple ornamented with volutes on the corners, covered with a dome-shaped steeple and crowned with an openwork cross was mounted in the centre of the roof ridge. The facades are covered with vertical boards, topped with a profiled crowning cornice, which is covered with a skirt roof in the part of the presbytery and front avant-corps. The facade is topped with a triangular gable covered with decorative boards. The pseudo-basilican interior consists of three naves. The naves are segmentally separated by closed arcades. A profiled rood beam with a crucifix separates the nave and the chancel. A choir is situated above the porch, framed by an openwork balustrade, with windows of the avant-corps to ensure brighter ambience. The interior is covered in ornamental wall paintings; the ceiling of the nave and chancel depicts the Immaculate Mother of God, Dove, Apocalyptic Lamb and emblems of three theological virtues.

The church was built of wooden logs positioned on a stone foundation; the roofs and steeple are covered with sheet metal. The rectangular windows of the church are topped with an overhanging segmental arch; the windows over the choir and in the chancel are shaped in the form of circles, having a square inscribed in them. The door openings are rectangular; the door leaves are decorated with studs and a motif of rhombuses.

The fittings dating back to the third quarter of the 19th century consist of three eclectic altars and a neo-mannerist ambo. The area of the main altar is adorned with a late baroque painting depicting Our Lady of the Rosary.

The structure can be viewed from the outside. The interior is accessible during the services.

Compiled by Joanna Kotyńska-Stetkiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 22.10.2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Kościół filialny pw. Narodzenia NMP,  compiled by Boruch W., 1987, Archive of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Białystok, Łomża Regional Office.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. 9: Województwo łomżyńskie, issue: 2: Ciechanowiec, Zambrów, Wysokie Mazowieckie i okolice, Warszawa 1986, pp. 8-10.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1742 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Cibory-Kołaczki
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district białostocki, commune Zawady
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area