Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Chomentów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene

Chomentów

photo

An example of a rural wooden sacred construction from the 18th century, the only preserved wooden church in the commune.

History

The first parish church was founded, probably in 1328, by the owners of the village: Jakub, Mikołaj and Wszegnej; it was consecrated on 08-12-1331 by bishop of Cracow Jan Grot. At the same time, a parish separated from the rectory of Kije and Mokrsk, was established. In his description of the church, Jan Długosz refers to the name of St. Matthew and St. Mary Magdalene. In 1408, another unit was separated from the parish in Łukowa. In around mid-16th century, the church was ravaged by Kilian Łukowski and went to the hands of Evangelical Protestants, but it is uncertain whether it served as a congregation house or not. In the sources originating between 1577 and 1608, it is described as profaned. Catholics reclaimed the church in approx. 1610. Probably between 1711 and 1744, a new wooden church was constructed (or the old one was thoroughly renovated), which was consecrated on 4-10-1744 by suffragan bishop of Cracow Michał Kunicki.  In 1782, parish priest Karol Drążewski provided the building with its present form: he ordered renovation of the roof and wall base, construction of a steeple, and replacement of siding on the façades. In 1796, another renovation was carried out and a wooden belfry was erected on his commission. In 1844, the owner of Chomentów who served in the November Uprising as an officer, Jan Kanty Łempicki, constructed a new, brick and stone gate belfry. In 1882, parish priest Jan Klimas bought a new pipe organ, and parish priest Karol Rogalski reconstructed the church's interior along with altars. The church was renovated in 1966 and in years 1971-73. In 2005, its roof was renovated and wood shingles replaced. In 2011, the construction of a new, brick and stone church which took over the function of the current one, was completed.

Description

The church is located in the middle of a large square in the central part of the village, on the junction of roads from Korytnica, Chmielowice and Siedlce. It is an oriented, single-nave, wooden building featuring a wooden log structure and resting on a stone foundation. The nearly square nave is adjoined by a similar presbytery to which a rectangular sacristy is added from the north. On the southern side of the nave there is a small, nearly square porch. To the west from the church, on the line of the fence, there is a brick and stone gate belfry. The nave and presbytery are covered with separated gable roofs featuring queen-post structure. The roof of the porch is of gable type, and of the sacristy — of shed type. Ale roofs are laid with wood shingles. At the eastern end of the roof ridge, there is a steeple in the form of an octagonal turret with a rhombus motif on each side, over which there is an arcaded lantern under an onion-shaped dome covered with sheet metal, topped by a spire with a cross on a globe. Façades are clad vertically with weatherboards and batten siding. The walls are reinforced with clamps. The triangular gables (the eastern and the western one) are slightly receded and clad with weatherboards arranged in a herringbone pattern with skirt roofs at the base, and topped with metal crosses. The western hip end is additionally decorated with a rosette.The internal walls are painted, there is a ceiling clad with wooden boards here. The top section of the walls features a profiled cornice, and the walls are reinforced by clamps in variety of shapes. In the western section, there is a simple wooden choir gallery supported on two columns. The fittings include: a Baroque main altar from the early  18th century with a late-Gothic painting of the Holy Virgin Mary with Child, Angel with young Tobias from the 2nd half of the 17th century on the sliding panel and St. Matthew in the upper section; side Baroque altars from the 2nd half of the 18th century with paintings of St. Joseph in the left altar and of St. Mary Magdalene in the right altar, a Baroque crucifix between the painted images of the Holy Virgin Mary and St. John the Evangelist, hung over the rood beam; a stone, Baroque baptismal font and a wooden Baroque ambo from the 1st half of the 18th century.

The historic building is accessible from outside, access to the interior upon consent of the parish priest.

Compiled by Nina Glińska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland Kielce, 15.10.2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. III: Województwo kieleckie J.Z. Łoziński, B Wolff (ed.), fasc. 3: Powiat jędrzejowski, compiled by T. Przypkowski, Warszawa 1957, pp. 2.
  • Adamczyk A., Kościoły drewniane w województwie kieleckim, Kielce 1998, pp. 49-55.
  • Burzawa W., Chomentów. Parafia pw. św. Marii Magdaleny. Dekanat chęciński.  [w:] ks. Tkaczyk P. (ed.) Diecezja kielecka. Miejsca - Historia - Tajemnice, Kielce 2011, pp. 56-57.
  • Kalina D., Mirowski R., Idzik K., Z dziejów Sobkowa. W 450. Rocznicę nadania praw miejskich., Kielce 2013, pp. 271-275
  • Mirowski R., Drewniane kościoły i dzwonnice ziemi świętokrzyskiej, Kielce 2002, pp. 20-21.
  • Wiśniewski J., Historyczny opis kościołów, miast, zabytków i pamiątek w Jędrzejowskim, Marjówka 1930, pp. 11-20, 419-421.
  • Wiśniowski E., Rozwój sieci parafialnej w prepozyturze wiślickiej w średniowieczu. Studium geograficzno-historyczne, Warszawa 1965, pp. 75, 86-87, 123.
  • Wiśniowski E., Prepozytura wiślicka do schyłku XVIII w. Materiały do struktury organizacyjnej, Lublin 1976, pp. 43-44.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1711-1744 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Chomentów 41
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district jędrzejowski, commune Sobków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area