Parish church, today Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Chocianowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church, today Filial Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary



The wooden church of the 2nd half of the 17th century is part of the Sacred Wooden Architecture Route of the Opole region. It is a vehicle of a centuries-old architectural tradition and a valuable component of the cultural landscape of the Opole region.


The parish in Chocianowice was first mentioned in the records already in 1376. As seen in the inscription on a sacristy beam, the existing church was erected in 1662 by a carpenter with the initials “K.W.” Rebuilt in the 18th century, the church had been supervised by the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star until 1810. Until 1905 it served as a filial church of the parish in Kuniów. Until 1959 it was a parish church. Today, it is again a filial church of the parish in Chocianowice and has the same dedication. The main temple of the parish is a brick church built about 50 m away in the years 1957-1959.


The church stands in the south part of the village, bisected by the road from Kluczborka to Stare Olesno. It is east-oriented and located on an oval plot, overgrown with trees and surrounded by a low fence. The new church stands about 50 m to the east, about 40 m to the north there is a small pond.

The plan of the church contains an elongated chancel with a triangular termination, with a rectangular sacristy touching it from the north; also a wider and rectangular nave and a square tower on the west side and a small porch on the south side. The roofs over the chancel and nave are high, double-pitched, with two ridges. The north, extended roof plane over the chancel also covers the sacristy. At the north-west part of the church, along the nave and partly by the tower, there are walkways resting on pillars. Their roofing on the east side reaches the lower edge of the windows, and on the west side - up to the eaves of the nave roof. The massive tower with slightly inclined walls is detached from the nave gable in its upper section and covered with an octagonal tented roof, whose gable reaches beyond the roof ridge. The dominant element is a hexagonal ave-bell turret over the east part of the nave, covered with a slender tented roof.

The wooden church was erected as a log structure on a stone basecourse, reinforced with vertical supports. The tower structure rests on four massive pillars connected by a lateral reinforcement system. The roofs are shingled; the walls of the tower and south porch are covered with vertical weatherboards. The windows and doorways are rectangular.

The interior is covered with a plat ceiling, featuring crown moulding over the chancel and a longitudinal crossbeam over the nave. The central part of the choir rests on four pillars and bulges outward. The ceiling is covered with a painted decoration, depicting the firmament above the chancel, and false coffers above the nave.

The fittings and equipment have been partially transferred to the new church, e.g. the image of Our Lady of Chocianowice of the 17th century, the statues and a beautiful baptismal font from the 1st half of the 18th century in the shape of a cornucopia supported by angels and a cover depicting the Baptism in the Jordan, etc. The architectural main altar, with gates on the sides, dates from 1726. In the ground level of the tower, there is a sculpture of the Crucifixion and a spiritual “karbona” of the 19th century. The side altar is the Baroque style, other fittings are the items of folk or contemporary art.

The site is accessible to visitors. Viewing of the interior by prior telephone arrangement.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 21-10-2014 r.


  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, Województwo opolskie, z. 10: Powiat oleski, red. T. Chrzanowski i M. Kornecki, s.4-5.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 22-23.
  • Śląsk. Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, oprac. zbiorowe, Warszawa 2006, s. 193.
  • Lutsch Hans, Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1894, s. 251.
  • Burgmeister L., Wiggert E., Holztürme der preussischen  Ostprovinzen Schlesien, etc, Berlin 1905, s. 42, Taf. 6. 
  •, tam obszerna historia kościoła oprac. przez  ks. Pawła Stottko , dostęp w dniu 21.10.2014.                   

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Chocianowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Lasowice Wielkie
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area