Parish Church of All Saints, Chludowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of All Saints

Chludowo

photo

The church is an interesting example of 18th-century wooden ecclesiastical architecture in Greater Poland. Inside, there are fittings dating from the 2nd half of the 18th century. The main altar, which also comes from that period, features paintings of All Saints and the Holy Trinity. In the northern chapel, there is a valuable painting of the Virgin Mary with St Nicholas and St Adalbert and the kneeling founder of the church, wearing a priest’s robe, painted in Greater Poland in the 3rd quarter of the 16th century. One of the particularly notable elements is the group of Baroque sculptures on the rood beam, forming a Crucifixion scene.

History

Chludowo is one of the oldest villages in the vicinity of Poznań. Initially, the village was owned by dukes of Greater Poland. In 1252, dukes Przemysł I and Bolesław the Pious transferred the ownership of the village to a Cistercian convent in Owińska. The village remained the property of the convent until the end of the 18th century. Following the compulsory dissolution of the convent, the lands which it owned, including the village of Chludowo, were purchased from the Prussian government by the banker Zygmunt Otto von Treskow in 1797. In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the von Treskow family built a palace surrounded by a landscape garden in Chludowo. During the inter-war period, in the years 1922-1934, the village was owned by Roman Dmowski. In 1934, Dmowski sold the lands to the Society of the Divine Word, which adapted it for a house for novices in 1935. Currently, apart from the house of the Society, the palace also contains a museum dedicated to missions and ethnography, established in 1975.

The first church in Chludowo was founded by the Cistercian nuns, probably at the end of the 13th century or at the beginning of the 14th century. The first mention in written sources indicating that there was a parish in Chludowo comes from 1389. The wooden church that has survived to this day was also founded by the Cistercian convent. Built in 1736, it replaced the previous church which burned down in 1710. The church was consecrated in 1744. The church was renovated in 1765; its present interior fittings come from that time. Since 1945, the church has been looked after by the Divine Word Missionaries. The next major renovation works were carried out in the years 1968 1970. They involved, among other things, the replacement of the roof covering and the ceilings and the renovation and complementation of the interior fittings.

Description

The Church of All Saints is located on a small hill in the centre of the village. The area surrounding the church (formerly a graveyard) is enclosed with a fence made up of pickets set on a low wall stretching between plaster-covered posts, with a gate in its southern section. Near the church, there are a brick rectory, built in the late 19th century, and a wooden bell tower from 1936.

The aisleless church has a chancel terminating in a polygon on the east side. Two symmetrical side chapels are located on both sides of the church, forming a type of transept. Behind the chancel, there is a rectangular sacristy. A small porch adjoins the south wall of the nave. The entrance to the church, located on its west side, is preceded by a newly erected open porch. Both the church and the slightly lower side chapels are covered with tall gable roofs; the rear section of the chancel has a three-pitched roof. The sacristy has a gable roof with a hip section and the southern porch is covered with a gable roof. The entire structure is dominated by a steeple jutting from the roof ridge, comprising a lantern and a spire surmounted by a flag with the date “1736”.

The church has a wooden log structure reinforced with vertical supports. The walls are protected with weatherboards. The roofs are covered with ceramic roof tiles and the spire crowning the steeple is covered with sheet metal. Inside, there are wooden ceilings.

The exterior walls of the church are covered with vertically positioned boards. The doors and the windows are rectangular and framed by wooden surrounds. The west façade of the church and the south and north façades of the side chapels are topped with triangular gables, separated from the ground floor level with skirt roofs.

The interiors are covered with wooden ceilings with rounded corners. The walls are crowned with wooden cornices. The chancel and the nave are separated with a profiled rood beam resting on decorative corbels. On the rood beam, there are Baroque sculptures of crucified Jesus, the Virgin Mary of Sorrows, and St John. The Baroque interior fittings include the main altar whose particular sections come from the 1st and 2nd half of the 18th century. The altar features sculptures of angels and paintings of the Holy Trinity and of All Saints, dating from the 2nd half of the 18th century. A particularly valuable artefact is the painting in the northern chapel depicting the Virgin Mary accompanied by St Nicholas, St Adelbert, and the kneeling founder of the church, painted in the 3rd quarter of the 16th century and showing both Gothic and Renaissance influences.

The church is open to visitors. More information, including the Holy Mass schedule, is available on the website: http://parafiachludowo.pl.

compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 20-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004, s. 46.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, z. 20: Powiat poznański, Warszawa 1977, s. 6-7.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1736 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna , Chludowo
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district poznański, commune Suchy Las
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area