The Greek Catholic Church of the Pentecost, now the filial church of the Żniatyn parish, Chłopiatyn
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Greek Catholic Church of the Pentecost, now the filial church of the Żniatyn parish



The monument is a valuable example of a wooden Greek Catholic church characteristic of the southern part of the Lublin region. The church dating from the mid-19th century belongs to a particularly interesting group of three-cupola churches. Its distinctive features include harmonious proportions and lavish architectural decorations.


The Greek Catholic church was founded in 1863 on the site formerly occupied by another church. After the Second World War the building was used by a Catholic church as the filial church of the Żniatyn parish. In 1924, the building underwent renovation, which involved adding a foundation.


The church is situated in the centre of the village, alongside the road to Myców, near the former manor pond. It is an interesting example of a three-cupola church. The building is oriented, designed as a tripartite structure consisting of a square nave, a narrower, three-sided chancel with a sacristy along the northern wall and a square narthex that is the same width as the presbytery. Each of the parts is covered with an eight-faced cupola in the shape of a bell, crowned with an openwork lantern with a bulbous dome. The cupolas are supported by octagonal tambours joined together. The interior features a faux ceiling, while a sacristy a simple ceiling. The church was built of pine logs in a corner-notched log construction. The logs are flattened at the end and split to form a ‘fish tail’, with ends visible in the lower part which was not covered with weatherboards. This part is topped with a pronounced skirt roof supported by decoratively profiled ends of beams projecting from a wall. The building is set on a (newer) brick foundation. The upper parts of the walls of the log structure and tambours are covered with vertically positioned weatherboards and batten siding, and crowned with profiled cornices. The front facade features a balcony with an openwork balustrade, supported by corbels noticeably jutting out from a wall and covered with a gable roof, with a triangular gable end covered with weatherboards. The balcony and balustrade are covered with skirt roofs. The cupolas and all roofs are covered with shingles, while lanterns with sheet metal. The window openings of the church are rectangular, framed by a surround and crowned with cornices. The doors are planked. A foundation inscription is engraved above the front door. The interior design and fittings in the Late Baroque and folk style, including wall paintings with architectural, ornamental and figural motifs and iconostasis from 1868, date back to the times of construction of the church.

The monument is open to visitors.

Compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 20.08.2014.



  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, p. 12, fig. 5.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. 8: Województwo lubelskie, issue 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, Warsaw 1964, pp. 3-4.

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1863-1864 AD
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Chłopiatyn
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district hrubieszowski, commune Dołhobyczów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area