Poznaj lokalne zabytki

Wyraź zgodę na lokalizację i oglądaj zabytki w najbliższej okolicy

Zmień ustawienia przeglądarki aby zezwolić na pobranie lokalizacji
This website is using cookies. Learn more.

Catholic Church of St Martin - Zabytek.pl

Catholic Church of St Martin

church Chlewo

Chlewo, 17b

woj. wielkopolskie, pow. ostrzeszowski, gm. Grabów nad Prosną - obszar wiejski

The Parish Church of St Martin in Chlewo is an example of 17th-century wooden ecclesiastical architecture characteristic of the southern part of Greater Poland.


The Parish Church of St Martin, founded by Feliks Karsznicki, was built in 1651. A tower was added in 1794. The church underwent renovations in the years 1981-1984 and in 1992.


The village of Chlewo is located 11 km to the north-east of Ostrzeszów. The church, having a wooden log structure covered with weatherboards, is oriented to the east. It has one nave (with no aisles). The chancel, terminating in a polygon, is adjoined by a sacristy on the north side. A tower, having a quadrangular floor plan, was built onto the west wall of the nave; its lower part has a log structure and a small roof connected with the nave roof, whereas its upper, narrower part, has a post-and-beam structure and is covered with a tented roof with wood shingles. There is a porch at the ground floor level. The walls are covered with weatherboards. The date of the construction of the tower — “1794” — in engraved on the stone floor of the porch. The two-ridge roof over the nave and the chancel is also covered with wood shingles. It is surmounted by a steeple topped with a lantern with an onion-shaped cupola. The three-pitched sacristy roof is covered with sheet metal. Inside, there is a flat ceiling made of beams and boards. In the western section of the church, there is a music gallery enclosed with a bulging parapet, resting on four wooden posts. The rood beam is decorated with statues and a crucifix. The church has Baroque interior fittings. The former church graveyard is enclosed with a brick wall with a gate. A number of ashes and chestnut trees grow in the graveyard.

The church can only be visited from the outside.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.


  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 17, Pow. ostrzeszowski, opr. Chrzanowski Tadeusz, Kornecki Marian, Samek jan, Warszawa 1958, s. 2-3.
  • Kościoły drewniane w Wielkopolsce, red. Mariusz Grzebalski, Poznań 2004, s. 45.
  • http://kosciolydrewniane.pl - odsłona z listopada 2015 r.

Category: church

Building material:  drewniane

Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records

Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.161943, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.43993