Villa Fałatówka, currently a branch of the Museum, Bystra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Villa Fałatówka, currently a branch of the Museum

Bystra

photo

A representative example of suburban villa architecture from the early 20th century, characterised by an Early Modern form with Art Nouveau elements. The monument is connected with the person of a distinguished Polish painter, Julian Fałat, who lived in the villa in the years 1910-1929.

History

The villa was built in 1910 in a holiday resort near Bielsko for the painter and professor of the Kraków Academy of Fine Arts Julian Fałat, according to his own design. There used to be a wooden atelier of Fałat’s in the garden surrounding the villa; only remains of its brick socle have survived to this day. Later in time, an annex with a boiler room was built onto the villa. Since 1973, the building has housed a branch of the Museum in Bielsko-Biała, which displays collections of watercolour and oil paintings by Fałat, as well as associated documents.

Description

The villa is located in the central part of the former spa resort, in the territory of the historic Bystra Śląska, laid out to the north of the Białka River. It is a free-standing structure facing the south, located directly by the north side of Fałata Street, at the foot of a hill, and surrounded by a garden enclosed with a fence. In the rearward part of the parcel, there are remains of a wooden structure that used to contain the painter’s atelier and stone steps leading to it.

The villa, made of brick and plastered, combines Early Modernism and Art Nouveau elements. The two-storeyed building has a cuboidal form and a rectangular floor plan with avant-corpses. It is covered with a high, multi-pitched roof with broad eaves and decorative chimneys and has one-storeyed annexes on the east, north-east, and north-west sides.

The main façade features a two-storeyed avant-corps with a gable roof on the west side and a one-storeyed avant-corps topped with a decorative wooden loggia on the east side. The main façade, just like the other façades, basically has no architectural details, however, it features window openings of various shapes and sizes, framed with Art Nouveau woodwork including glazing bars and accentuated by rectangular boards at the bottom, as well as an asymmetrically placed door opening topped with a segmental arch. Some windows still have the original, Art Nouveau metal bars and window sill railings. The interior consists of a hall situated in the centre, connected with a staircase and communicated with small rooms located on its east, north, and west sides. All rooms have flat ceilings. There are still old masonry stoves in some rooms. The north-east annex contains a garage and the north-west annex contains a boiler room.

The monument is accessible. The building contains a branch of the Museum in Bielsko-Biała.

compiled by Agnieszka Olczyk, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Katowice, 12-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna Willa tzw. „Fałatówka” [w Bystrej Śląskiej], opr. M. Godek, 1995, Archiwum NID.
  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, red. S. Brzezicki, C. Nielsen, Warszawa 2006, s. 173.

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: 1910 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Fałata 34, Bystra
  • Location: Voivodeship śląskie, district bielski, commune Wilkowice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area