Filial Roman Catholic church of Our Lady of the Rosary, Bukowina Bobrzańska
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Roman Catholic church of Our Lady of the Rosary

Bukowina Bobrzańska

photo

The church is a valuable example of sacred architecture combining Gothic and Gothic Revival features.

History

It was built in the early XIV w. In the years 1540-1668, it remained in the hands of Protestants. W 1856 r. zakończono gruntowną przebudowę gotyckiej providing it with a neo-Gothic architectural form. The initiator of the works was the then owner of the Bukowina Bobrzańska estate, Rudolf Maria Stilfried von Rattonitz - a historian, investigator of genealogy of Silesian families, head of the archives of the Hohenzollern family and the master of ceremony on their court. The design was prepared by Leonhard Dorst von Schatzberg. During the re-designing works, masonry of the windows was redone and a porch and a tower were added.

Description

The church is located in the southern part of the village, by the road leading to Małomice, on the verge of a palace park. The church area is fenced, from the south and partially also from the west, with a stone and brick wall. It shows features of Gothic and neo-Gothic style. It is an oriented building of single nave type, made of stone and brick. The cuboidal nave is adjoined from the east by a lower and narrower, rectangular chancel. On the northern side, there are sacristy and chapel, and the southern side - a porch. On the western side, there is a polygonal post-and-beam, tapering tower, covered with weatherboards. The tower is topped with a tall tented roof clad in sheet metal. Other parts of the building are covered with gable roof clad in ceramic tiles. Fragments of stone walls are plastered. The porch, top section of the gables over the nave and the chancel, gables and corners of annexes, crowing cornice and stepped surrounds of pointed-arch windows are made of brick. The décor and most of the fittings come from the 2nd half of the 19th century. Also older items have survived: a Gothic altarpiece from the the 15th century and a bell from 1469.

The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 13-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 48.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 129.
  • Karat ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny pw. Matki Boskiej Różańcowej, oprac. M. Kacprzyk, 1994, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: pocz. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Bukowina Bobrzańska
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żagański, commune Żagań
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area