Complex of the Greek Catholic tserkva of Guardianship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, currently the filial church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Budynin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Complex of the Greek Catholic tserkva of Guardianship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, currently the filial church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Budynin

photo

Complex of the Greek Catholic tserkva of Guardianship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, currently the filial church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

History

A valuable example of wooden tserkva architecture that once formed a characteristic feature of the southern Lublin region. The complex consists of the tserkva itself as well as the bell tower, both originating from 1887. The tserkva features a rare layout incorporating three domes which are nearly identical in height.

Description

The tserkva is located in the northern part of the village; the edifice is oriented towards the south. It is a tripartite structure consisting of a nave designed on a square floor plan, a slightly narrower, square narthex adjoining it to the west as well as a rectangular chancel with a semi-hexagonal termination, flanked by a pair of square sacristies. The nave, the chancel and the narthex are all of equal height and are covered with elongated, eight-faced domes with roof lanterns. The domes are mounted on tall octagonal tholobates. The sections underneath the domes feature faux cupola ceilings made up of eight parts, with flat ceilings used for the sacristies. The tserkva is a corner-notched log structure made of pine logs. The logs are connected by means of fishtail joints and feature protruding ends. The sill plates are connected by means of scarf joints, positioned on brick foundations. The lower section of the tserkva features an exposed log structure and a skirt roof supported by rafter tails; the upper part of the edifice is covered with board and batten siding arranged in a vertical layout. The front entrance is preceded by an open vestibule with a pair of pillars supporting a covered first-floor balcony running across the entire width of the narthex; the roofs are covered with sheet metal. The multi-pane windows are rectangular in shape, with an oculus piercing the eastern wall of the tholobate rising above the chancel. The double door in the front section of the church features a decorative arrangement of wooden planks and metal studs. Inside, the church features painted decorations dating back to 1892 as well as the remains of fixtures and fittings crafted during the 18th and the 19th century. The bell tower was designed on a square floor plan; it is a two-storey structure with a wider lower storey featuring a single window, added at a later date. The walls of the narrower upper storey of the free-standing tower are pierced by small arcades at the top, allowing the sound of the bells to escape. The tower is a post-and-frame structure, its walls covered with weatherboards arranged in a vertical layout. The eight-faced pyramid roof at the top and the wide skirt roof positioned between the storeys of the tower are both clad with sheet metal. In the vicinity of the tserkva stands a stone sculpture of St Florian, dating back to the first half of the 19th century.

The historic monument is accessible to visitors.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 07-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Górak J., Dawne cerkwie drewniane w województwie zamojskim, Zamość 1984, s. 13-14.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, z. 6: Powiat hrubieszowski, Warszawa 1964, s. 1-2.
  • Niedźwiedź E., Niedźwiedź J., Skorniewski M., Kłębek Ł., Dzieje miejscowości gminy Ulhówek powiat tomaszowski, Ulhówek-Zamość 2015, s. 53-58.
  • Żurawicka G., Kuśmierz L., Drewniane budownictwo sakralne: powiat Tomaszów Lubelski, powiat Hrubieszów, Lublin 2008, s. 80

General information

  • Type: tserkva
  • Chronology: 1887 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Budynin
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district tomaszowski, commune Ulhówek
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area