Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Buczek
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St John the Baptist

Buczek

photo

The church containing a part of the temple combining the features of a Romanesque and Gothic architecture, extended in subsequent periods. The example of an early application of brick in construction.

History

The church was located in the centre of a housing estate with Medieval origins. Source data concerning the origins of the town and temple, as well as the date of establishing a parish are not known. The town is mentioned in the sources from 1354. First mention of the owner of Buczek dates back to 1386. Traces of settlement in the town date back to the 11th century. The western part of the nave together with a lower part of the tower are relics of the temple erected most probably during 13th century. Further alteration and extension of the church to the East and elevation of the tower also took place in Middle Ages.

Description

The church is oriented, located in the central part of the village, neighbouring the park, most probably former manor park, on a low hill, surrounded by a churchyard cemetery. Western part (nave and tower) belong to the original construction phase of the temple (most probably a middle of the 13th century). The foundations of the original phase of loosely laid erratic boulders with no joints filling. The original brick wall is in part made in Gothic bond, and in part in the Wendish bond. There are preserved traces of joints decoration. The brick used is of relatively small thickness and proportions preceding the material commonly used in Gothic. In upper parts of the elongated walls of the nave there are pairs of windows topped with semi-circular arches preserved. At the level of the pipe organ choir, there is a preserved arc originally joining the area of the nave with the western gallery located in the tower. During Middle Ages the presbytery was extended. It is closed with a straight wall with corner supports. 19th century sacristy adjoins the presbytery, with relics of the stairs vaulting in the attic. From the North and South two chapels adjoin the nave body, but the southern one is buttressed with a Gothic chapel, and the northern one - with an early modern chapel. Under the southern chapel there is a crypt with stairs relics, originally leading to the chapel from the nave of the church. The tower was elevated in Middle Ages, was made of bricks laid in a Gothic bond, with proportions different from its lower part. The lower part of the tower was built on a floor plan with a shape approximating that of a square, upwards it is octagonal. Moreover, the southern porch, including the relics of a portal, and sacristy porch - both built probably in the 20th century, adjoin the body of the church. The interior of the nave and presbytery is covered with a flat wooden ceiling. The church has a Mannerist main altar with a painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa and two Baroque side altars.

Limited access to the historic building. The structure is open from the outside. The interior may be visited upon consultation with a parish priest. Attics, crypt and western gallery cannot be accessed.

Compiled by Paweł Filipowicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Łódź, 06.09.2014.

Bibliography

  • Kajzer L. (ed.), Początki architektury sakralnej w Polsce, vol. 2, Łódź-Warszawa 2013.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Buczek
  • Location: Voivodeship łódzkie, district łaski, commune Buczek
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area