Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic Filial Church of St Casimir, Brokęcino
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently the Roman Catholic Filial Church of St Casimir

Brokęcino

photo

The church is an interesting example of 16th-century wooden ecclesiastical architecture of the former Duchy of Western Pomerania — one of the very few surviving churches featuring a wooden log structure, very rare in this region. Its interior features plain fittings in the form of a Mannerist altar made in the early 17th century by Jakub Funkce from Kołobrzeg and an ambo from 1605, partially reconstructed in the early 20th century.

History

The settlement of the territories situated south of Szczecinek, in the Gwda River valley, along the boundary between Greater Poland and Pomerania, began in the early 16th century. Duke Bogusław X granted the territories to the Herzberg family, who held it in fealty. The Herzberg family established a number of villages on those lands, including the village of Lotyń, which became their family seat, and Brokęcino. Their estate, comprised of the lands granted by the duke, survived until the 19th century. In 1887, Brokęcino was sold to the von Bonin family.

The church in Brokęcino was founded by the Herzberg family in the fourth quarter of the 16th century, most probably — according to a barely legible inscription on the church bell — in 1582. The existence of a church in Brokęcino is confirmed by visitation deeds dated 1587 and 1580. In 1661, a tower was built onto the church. In the years 1913-1914, maintenance and modernisation works were conducted. They involved the reinforcement of the nave wall structure, the replacement of the wood shingle roof covering, and the installation of tower clapboards, as well as the installation of wooden panelling in the nave and the replacement of the window woodwork. It was then that a small sacristy was added to the chancel and the ceiling paintings were made. The church fittings were restored. The new design was partially modelled on the 17th-century interior decor. After World War II, the church was taken over by the Catholics. The church was dedicated in 1946. The most recent restoration works were carried out from 1992 to 1994. The roof covering was replaced again as so was the tower wall covering. The nave walls were covered with weatherboards which concealed the log structure.

Description

The Church of St Casimir is located on a small hill in the centre of the village. The surrounding area (a former graveyard) is surrounded with a new wire fence. In the graveyard, there is a monument to the residents of the village who died during World War I.

The aisleless church has an angular chancel on the north-east side. A tower, built on a square plan, adjoins the nave from the south-west. A small, rectangular sacristy was added behind the chancel, on the north-east side. The church is covered with a tall gable roof with protruding eaves, with a lower gable roof over the sacristy. The whole building is dominated by a tapering tower topped with a slender, octagonal spire.

The church has a wooden log structure. Its walls are covered with weatherboards. The north-east gable has a half-timbered structure with brick infills. The tower, in turn, has a post-and-beam structure. The roofs and the spire are covered with wood shingles. Inside, there are wooden ceilings.

The walls of the church are covered with vertically positioned wooden boards. The doors and windows are rectangular. The north-east facade has a simple, triangular gable.

Inside, there are wooden ceilings. Three galleries survive inside the church, with the southern one currently serving as a music gallery. The ceiling is adorned with painted foliage (acanthus leaves) on hexagonal coffers separated by broad wooden boards. The balustrades of the galleries are also covered with paintings: their arcaded panels, originally featuring figural paintings, are adorned with simplified foliage motifs. The Mannerist fittings of the church, dating back to the early 17th century, include an architectural altar, with decorative side sections embellished with strapwork and scrollwork ornaments, and a pulpit. The central panel of the altar used to contain an oil-on-board painting depicting the Lamentation of Christ (now in the Regional Museum in Szczecinek). The body of the pulpit is adorned with images of the Evangelists, painted on arcaded panels (reconstructed in the years 1913-1914). The three-axis pipe organ casing featuring painted ornamentation combining acanthus and auricular motifs is a later addition.

The church is accessible. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement. More information, including the Holy Mass schedule, is available on the website of the Koszalin-Kołobrzeg Diocese (www.koszalin.opoka.org.pl).

compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 21-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kowalczyk J., Kościół w Brokęcinie, „Kronika Wielkopolski”, 2001, nr 3, s. 108-12.
  • Maluśkiewicz P. , Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004, s. 33.
  • Ruszczyk G., Architektura drewniana w Polsce, Warszawa 2009, s. 506.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1582 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Brokęcino
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district złotowski, commune Okonek - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area