Parish Church of Saint Michael the Archangel - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. śremski, gm. Śrem-obszar wiejski
Its interior is notable due to the presence of fittings dating from the 18th century. The ceiling paintings made by Wacław Taranczewski in 1939 deserve particular attention.
The parish in Błociszewo was established in 1408 by the bishop Wojciech Jastrzębiec of Łubnica, who made it independent of the Rąbiń Parish. In the same year, Jan and Mikołaj Błociszewski, the owners of the village, founded the first church dedicated to St Michael the Archangel. The present church building was erected before 1736. It replaced a previous church built in the 2nd half of the 17th century. In 1778, Ksawery Kęszycki founded the construction of a tower. The church underwent restoration works in 1848, 1905, 1939, and 1957. In the years 1868-1869, stained glass windows depicting St John of Nepomuk, St Florian, and St Adalbert were installed in the chancel. In 1905, the original sacristy was converted into a chancel, and a new sacristy was added on its north side. The works were financed by Florentyna Chłapowska.
The Church of St Michael the Archangel in Błociszewo is situated in the centre of the village, on an irregular plot of land by a road to Kościan. The surrounding area (a former graveyard) is enclosed with a wooden fence and partially wire netting. On the west side, there is a brick and iron gate. In the graveyard, there is a metal bell tower (to the north of the church) and a classical tomb chapel of a Greater Poland family, the Kęszyckis, who rendered numerous services to Poland, built in the late 19th century (to the south), as well as numerous graves and the Grotto of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, built of cobblestone: in an arched niche, there is a statue of Mary the Mother of God and a commemorative plaque with the inscription: “In remembrance of the dedication to the Blessed Virgin Mary, from the Błociszewo Parish, 7.7.1946”. Nearby, in an old park, there is a palace of the Kęszycki family.
The church, having one nave (with no aisles), is oriented towards the east. Built on a rectangular floor plan, it has a frame structure. Both the interior and exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. On the east side, there is a narrower and lower chancel terminating in a semi-hexagon, with a sacristy on the north side. On the west side, there is a tower having a post-and-beam structure, with a porch at the ground floor level, covered with a Baroque roof with a lantern surmounted by a cross on a sphere. On the wall, there is a tower from 1847. The two-ridge roof of the church is covered with slate. Over the nave, there is a quadrangular steeple with a lantern topped with an onion-shaped cupola made of sheet metal. The church walls are covered with weatherboards both inside and outside. Both the nave and the chancel have round-arched windows. Notable elements of the interior include: paintings by Wacław Taranczewski from 1939, covering the flat ceiling with cove moulding stretching over the nave and the chancel, a music gallery resting on two posts, enclosed with a parapet bulging out in the centre, and a main altar and two side altars in the Late Baroque style, dating from the 2nd half of the 18th century, as well as a classical pulpit and stained glass windows from 1906.
The church may be visited from the outside. Holy Masses: Sunday at 8.00, 10.00, and 11.30, weekdays: at 18.30 (17.00 in winter), holidays on weekdays: at 9.30 and 18.30, parish office: open before and after Holy Masses.
compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 17-10-2015.
- Cieplucha Z., Z przeszłości Ziemi Kościańskiej, Kościan 1929, s. 117-120
- Drewniane kościoły Wielkopolski, Poznań 2004, s. 20
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 25, s. 1-2
- Łukaszewicz J., Opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych w dawnej dyecezyi poznańskiej, t. II, Poznań, 1858, s. 194-197
- Szmidt Z., Powiat śremski. Przewodnik turystyczny, Śrem 2010, s. 25-29
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.170853, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.111671