Parish church of St Catherine, Bledzew
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of St Catherine

Bledzew

photo

An interesting Gothic sacred building with neo-Gothic tower and chapel, with fittings partially originating from a former Cistercian monastery church.

History

The first mention of the church in Bledzew dates back to 1510, and its construction is dated to the 15th century. In the 17th century, (1605, 1632, 1660) the building was damaged by fire a couple of times. From 1740, the church remained in the hands of Cistercian monks until the monastery was liquidated (1835). In the years 1881-1882, the church was re-designed. At that time, the nave was extended from the west, a tower was built, and a chapel was added from the south.

Description

The church of St Catherine is made of brick. It is an aisleless building, with a semi-hexagonal termination on the east. The neo-Gothic tower, adorned with pinnacles, is topped with a gable roof with a slender pyramid-shaped tented roof with a lantern. The main entrance to the church is located in the ground floor of the tower. The interior of the nave is covered with a wooden roof, and the sacristy with gallery, with a cross-rib vault. To this day, Gothic pointed-arch windows, and also a portal, have survived. In the church, there are historical fittings, mostly from the 16th-18th century, brought from the monastery church dismantled in the 19th century. They include sculptures (Crucifixion group), side altar from the chapel of the Crucifixion from the 18th century, paintings - including the one hanging on the main altarpiece, Baroque candlesticks, liturgical vessels, pews, pulpit, baptismal font, and a bell from 1511.

The building is available during services or upon prior appointment with the parish priest.

compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 17-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 222, fot. 104.
  • Witkowska T. (T.W.), Bledzew, gm. loco, [w:] Zabytki północnej części województwa lubuskiego (red. J. Lewczuk, B. Skaziński), Gorzów Wlkp.-Zielona Góra 2004, s. 74-75.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Bledzew
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district międzyrzecki, commune Bledzew
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area