Evangelical church, currently: Roman-Catholic Filial Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Biernatowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently: Roman-Catholic Filial Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Biernatowo

photo

The church is an interesting example of a 19th-century ecclesiastical building having a timber-frame structure. It is a valuable testimony to the multicultural heritage of Greater Poland.

History

Biernatowo used to be a privately-owned village. In the 17th century, the village belonged to the Czarnkowski family. The first church in the village was erected in 1614 as an Evangelical church. It was founded by the contemporary owner of Biernatowo, Zofia Czarnkowski née Herburt. During the period of the Partitions, the village bore the name “Ascherbude” and was mainly inhabited by Evangelicals. The timber-framed church which has survived to this day was erected in 1843. A brick tower was built onto the west wall of the church in the late 19th century. After 1945, the building was taken over by the Catholic Church. Since 1951, the church has been a filial church of the Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Siedlisko. The chapel was renovated in 2002.

Description

The church is situated on a hill in the central part of Biernatowo, on the north-east side of a local road providing access to a road leading to Siedlisko. The church is oriented towards the east (and slightly towards the north). The church is surrounded by a former graveyard, which was used until 1945. The church yard is enclosed with a wooden picket fence. The aisleless church has a rectangular floor plan. The chancel, not individuated in the body of the building, terminates in a flat wall on the east side. Inside the church, by the chancel, there are a sacristy and a small storeroom. The square tower, partially merged with the body of the building, is situated on the west side. The church is covered with a tall gable roof. The entire building is dominated by the tall, three-storeyed tower with a porch at the ground floor level. The top storey, having an octagonal floor plan, is covered with a tall tented roof resembling a spire.

The church has a timber-frame structure with brick infill, resting on a stone wall base. The interior walls are covered with plaster. The front wall and partially also the side walls of the tower are made of brick. The top storey of the tower is covered with vertically-positioned weatherboards. The church roof is covered with cement roof tiles and the tower roof is covered with asphalt shingles. Inside, there is a flat wooden ceiling with a counter ceiling.

The design of the exterior walls is based on the contrast between the dark timber frame and the red brick infill. The rectangular windows are framed by simple wooden surrounds. They are arranged in two rows: at the upper level, there are large windows divided into many panes of glass, oriented vertically, and at the lower level — there are smaller windows, oriented horizontally. The front (west) façade of the tower, faced with red brick, is divided by means of a string course and topped with an arcaded frieze. The main entrance, located in the front façade, is framed by a round-arched brick portal. Access to the entrance is provided by broad steps. Above the entrance, there is a small round window; above, there is a round-arched window.

Inside, there is a wooden ceiling with a counter ceiling. On the west side, there is a wooden gallery, supported by posts. The original fittings which have been preserved include a Gothic Revival baptismal font, pews, and a confessional from c. mid-19th century. The main altar incorporates a modern painting of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The church may be visited from the outside and — by prior arrangement — also inside.

More information, including the Holy Mass schedule, is available on the website of the Koszalin-Kołobrzeg Diocese: www.koszalin.opoka.org.pl

compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 01-12-2015.

Bibliography

  • Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie kościoły drewniane, Poznań 2001, s. 131.
  • Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 16.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 18: powiat trzcianecki, Warszawa 1966, s. 3.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1843 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Biernatowo
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district czarnkowsko-trzcianecki, commune Trzcianka - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area