The church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Biedrzychowice Dolne
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

The church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Biedrzychowice Dolne

photo

The church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Biedrzychowice Dolne is a valuable example of a medieval stone church of the rural type, with Romanesque relics. The church area is fenced with a wall with a gate house with a belfry, coming from the 15th century.

History

The exact date of construction of the church is not known. On the basis of late-Romanesque fragments it is dated to the 1st half of the 13th century. No information has survived about the renovations which are evidenced by the dates placed on the walls and weathervanes: 1654, 1705, 1850, and 1895. In the 15th century, the original semi-circular profile of the rood arch was changed into pointed arch. In the 17th century, a brick porch was added from the south, and in the early modern times - a sacristy from the north. Also, a crypt was created under the apse. In 1945, the church was destroyed in a fire. Unused, in fell into ruin. The roof and the walls were partially damaged. In the years 1975-1981, the church was reconstructed and the Romanesque elements were uncovered. In 1979, it was consecrated.

Description

The church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross is located in the central part of the village, on a small elevation, on the southern side of the main road. The area around the church, which is a former cemetery, is fenced with a stone wall.

In the southern part of the fence, there is a gate house from the 15th century, extended upwards by a timber-frame storey and adapted to be used as a belfry in 1781. By the church, there is a neo-Gothic tomb chapel of the Rotzler family from the 2nd half of the 19th century. The church is oriented. It is a stone building with brick reveals of window and entrance openings. It is of a single-nave type, was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a semi-circular apse and rectangular sacristy from the north, and a porch from the south.

Individual sections are covered with gable roofs, except for the apse, which is topped with a semi-conical roof. The roofs are clad in ceramic roof tiles. The façades are plastered and pierced with large windows with semi-circular top sections. In the church, there are still two original portals with stepped reveals, featuring pointed-arches in their top sections. Over the western portal, there are three brick niches with triangular top sections, while the southern portal is adorned with ceramic tiles. The Romanesque relics also include three slit window openings in the northern wall of the nave and the apse. The interior is covered with wooden flat ceilings, and the apse - with a conch. Historical fittings of the church have not survived.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 11-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom II, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 32-33.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 15.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1. poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Biedrzychowice Dolne
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żarski, commune Żary
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area