St Theresa of the Child Jesus parish church, Białowieża
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

St Theresa of the Child Jesus parish church

Białowieża

photo

The feature is a good example of the so-called national style, reminiscent of the Polish Renaissance of the 17th century. An excellent architect, scenographer and lecturer of the Warsaw University of Science, Borys von Zinserling (1889-1961), designed the church.

History

The Roman-Catholic parish in Białowieża was founded in 1926. Masses were celebrated at first in a chapel arranged in a former Tsar’s palace. A year later, the construction of the discussed temple began. The design was prepared by a well-known architect, Borys von Zinserling (1889-1961), active in Warsaw. He prepared stage designs for pre-war Qui Pro Quo and Persian Eye cabarets as well as operettas staged in Teatr Nowości [Theatre of Novelties]. He was an author of such buildings as the Runo Villa in Zalesie Dolne, Weidiger apartment house in Warsaw as well as numerous reconstructions, for example, of the Raczyńskis Palace, the Młodziejowskis Palace and the Council of Ministers’ Palace. The church was consecrated in 1934, but due to insufficient funds, it remained unfinished for some time. Only in the 1970s did the intense repair and finishing works begin. Numerous root sculptures were introduced and a 17-voices church organ was built in 2007.

Description

The structure is located in an eastern part of the town, in General Aleksander Waszkiewicz Street, on its northern side. The church was erected on a Latin cross floor plan and has a perpendicular body. The main corpus is covered by a gable roof, a three-sided, buttressed presbytery with a three-sloped roof, while annexes at the presbytery with triangular, multi-layered, sloped gables are covered with shed roof. At a facade, there is a tower with buttressed corners, narrowing upwards in three steps and locked with an attic. On the tower’s sides, there are two rectangular annexes with buttressed corners, reaching up to the second floor and crowned with attics. There is a steeple at the crossing of a nave and a transept.

The church is a brick building with plastered walls.

The main entrance on the facade is semi-circularly finished. Over a cornice, there is a niche topped with a rectangular window; four bell openings on the last floor of the bell tower with installed windows. Side façades are topped with a cornice. They contain three spans separated by buttresses. Windows terminate in semi-circular arches. The interior is a three-nave hall. The main nave contains a barrel vault resting on pillars with imposts. Side naves are covered with transverse barrels. There are arcades between naves. A crossing of a nave and a transept is covered with a dome with visible arches. A presbytery covered with a barrel vault.

Accessible structure.

compiled by Grzegorz Ryżewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 13-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Spis kościołów i duchowieństwa Archidiecezji Białostockiej 2008, Białystok 2008, s. 115-116.
  • Jabłoński K.A., Budownictwo kościelne 1795-1939 na terenie Archidiecezji Białostocki, Białystok 2002, s. 185-187.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1927-1934
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: gen. Waszkiewicza , Białowieża
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district hajnowski, commune Białowieża
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area