Mill complex - Zabytek.pl
Barlinek, św. Bonifacego 37-38
woj. zachodniopomorskie, pow. myśliborski, gm. Barlinek-miasto
The water equipment and buildings have retained their original features and structures, and are a representative example of industrial monuments in Western Pomerania.
The complex of the water mill buildings was erected between 1733 and the 1920s.
Originally, it was a paper mill, then a gristmill, and currently it is a didactic centre.
The originator and builder (since 1733) of the paper mill was Eliasz Meisner. His son Ernest extended and modernised the building between 1772 and 1987; the extensions included the construction of a brick aqueduct. In 1827, the paper mill was purchased by Getschmann, manufacturer, who introduced a steam engine and mechanised production. In 1867, the plan was closed due to competition and location outside the major transport routes.
In 1869, the former paper mill was purchased by Franz Duras, who converted it into a gristmill, which operated under the name “Papiernia” for the following years. Between 1901 and 1945, the owner of the mill was the Pfeiffer family. At that time, new drive equipment, Francis water turbine, gas engine and electric motor were installed.
After 1945, the mill was taken over by the Communal Cooperative “Samopomoc Chłopska” (“Peasants’ Self-Help”) and was used until 1972. The mill which was out of service and partly destroyed was saved from demolition by the staff and students of the Institute of Architecture of the Szczecin University of Technology. Since 1994, the complex was used by the Association for Protection of Heritage “Młyn Papiernia”, which carried out educational, scientific, renovation and conservation activities.
The mill complex is located approx. 3 km north of the centre of Barlinek, in Św. Bonifacego Street (local road to Żydowo), on the west bank and the bend of the Płonia river.
The historic building complex includes: gristmill - paper mill building, residential house (servants’ quarters), utility building (barn, stable), yard, and elements of water infrastructure such as channel with ponds, two brick bridges and relics (buried underground) of brick water channels of the former paper mill.
The gristmill - paper mill building is a multi-phase structure built in 1733, and extended in 1772, 1787, 1869 and 1901. Originally, it consisted of one body, probably one storey, and was covered with a tall roof. In the next period, the extensions involved the addition of two storeys in the northern wing. Later, the complex was adapted to serve as a gristmill; the adaptations included raising the north wing and the front connector, and alterations to the eastern sections for the water mill technology. The structure was built on an inverted T-shaped floor plan and features a diversified body and various shapes of roofs. The front building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, measures 56 m by 11 m, has one storey (with a knee wall), is made of ceramic bricks (on stone foundations), plastered, covered with a half-hip roof (with wall dormers), and has a basement in the central and eastern sections. The central section has three storeys, is made of brick and half-timbered, and is topped with a gable roof. The northern building has three storeys, a basement, is made of brick, and topped with a gable roof. The ceilings made of exposed wooden beams are installed in the production section, whereas the residential section is topped with wooden beamed and clay ceilings. The roof truss features a king post and collar beam structure. The façades are characterised by modest architectural detailing, accentuated by profiled cornices and plaster window and door surrounds. The former production buildings include single-space rooms; the residential section has a two-bay layout. The interior of the production section of the complex features the old mill equipment, such as gear, grinders, cleaners, sets of millstones.
A residential house (servants’ quarters) is situated on the south side of the mill and was built around 1920. It is a small building on a floor plan approximating the shape of square, has one storey, and was built of silica brick and plastered. It features a wooden porch to the east, and is covered with a hip roof with wall dormers. The façades do not represent any specific style and are accentuated by historical windows with panel shutters. The interior features a two-bay layout and is topped with wooden and clay ceilings with a wooden roof truss.
The barn - stable built in the second half of the 19th century is located in the western part of the yard. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, has one storeys, and is covered with a gable roof. The walls feature a half-timbered structure with brick infill and are not plastered; the back wall was modified. The interior has a separate storage area (separated by a barn-floor in the centre of the building) and livestock area.
A road bridge over the Płonia river is situated on the entrance axis to the mill complex. The bridge dates back to the 1860s-1880s; it features one span, round arch (brick), openwork brick balustrade, and cobbled surface. The structure underwent renovation and reconstruction.
The mill complex can be viewed from the bridge over the Płonia river.
Viewing of the interior of the mill and homestead is only possible by arrangement with the Association for Protection of Heritage “Młyn Papiernia” (firstname.lastname@example.org) on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 10-12-2014.
- Hoffman K., Gdzie papier czerpano. Stowarzyszenie na Rzecz Dziedzictwa „Młyn-Papiernia”, 2007.
- Cykalewicz M., 270 lat Młyna Papierni. [w:] Zabytkom na odsiecz. Szlakiem grodów, zamków i twierdz, red. A. Bartczak, M. Witek, Szczecin 2009, s. 273-296.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_32_ZE.35013