Parish church of the Virgin Mary, Support of Christians, Banie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of the Virgin Mary, Support of Christians

Banie

photo

One of the few municipal granite churches from the transitional period between Romanism and Gothic in the region. A three-nave interior layout preserved from that time is very rare.

History

The church was erected in the middle of 13th century, soon after the land of Banie was granted to the Templars’ Order by the duke Barnim I in 1234 and location of the town in 1235. In the Middle Ages it was a St. Mary Magdalene church. It was established as a three-nave pseudo-basilica, with a tower massif wider than the nave body and a sacristy adjoining simply closed presbytery from the North. The existence of the temple is confirmed by a mention of 1274 concerning the selection of a new parish priest from Banie. In 1478 the church burnt down, when it was set on fire by the army from Brandeburg, after 1535 it was taken over by the Protestants. The temple burnt again in 1690 was reconstructed and fitted with, among other things, a Baroque altar, ambo and bells cast in 1690 by a bell founder from Szczecin - Johann Jacob Mangold, as well as the organs built in the years 1763-1765. In 1716 the tower was topped with a Baroque dome. In 1853 the church was again burnt down. During the reconstruction in the years 1853-1854 the sacristy and an old tower were demolished and a new, significantly narrower one was built in its place, also new neo-Gothic gables were made, window and door openings were transformed and the roofs were rebuilt. During the acts of war in 1945 the roof and tower were damaged, and the tower was rebuilt in a reduced height. On 22 June 1946 the church was consecrated as Roman Catholic one under the current name. In 1981 a makeshift crowning of the tower was replaced with a new brick storey.

Description

The church is located in the centre of town, on the northern side of Targowa street - running latitudinally main communication artery of the town. It is situated within the area of the former cemetery, surrounded by a wall and overgrown by trees. Oriented. It is a Romanesque-Gothic building, with a short three-nave, three-bay, pseudo-basilica body, significantly narrower than the body of a neo-Gothic tower and an elongated, simply closed presbytery. There are gable roofs over the body and presbytery with a common roof ridge, the tower is topped with a pyramid hipped roof. The church is made of brick, a tower of a field stone in irregular bond, the eastern gable and detail (crowning frieze, string courses of the tower, bar tracery of the windows of the nave body and portal surrounds) - of factory brick, the crowning of the tower - of a new brick. The roofs are covered with sheet metal.

Facades of the nave body and presbytery have a separated plinth and are crowned with neo-Gothic, brick dentil frieze. Neo-Gothic portals: western in the tower, pointed-arch, two-step, side ones in the walls of the body are closed with a segmental arch (entrance from the South is bricked-up). There are pointed-arch windows: in presbytery they are early Gothic ones from the middle of the 13th century, strongly elongated, with a shape of a lance, they are strongly splayed, they are wider in the nave body, Gothic ones, with splayed reveals, divided with neo-Gothic bar tracery, tripartite, two-storey ones. Western façade and side facades of the body are symmetrical. Facade with a tower and main portal, northern and southern facade with side portals in the centre. In the eastern wall of the presbytery there are three early Gothic windows. The interior is covered with a wooden beam ceiling. Nave body is separated from presbytery with ogee-arched rood arch. Between the naves there are high pointed-arch arcades on massive square pillars topped with impost cornice. From the West it is supported by two pillars, Baroque wooden music gallery with a concave-convex baluster crest in the middle, with a cartouche with an emblematic representation.

Preserved elements of the monumental fittings: Baroque ambo with the sculptures of Evangelists, crowned with a figure of an archangel, neo-Gothic pipe organ casing and pews.

Limited access to the monument. Interior tours available upon prior consent of the parish priest.

Prepared by Maciej Słomiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 15.09.2014.

Bibliography

  • Lemcke H., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Regierungsbezirks Stettin, z. 6: Der Kreis Greifenhagen, Stettin 1902, pp. 167-175.
  • Świechowski Z., Architektura granitowa Pomorza Zachodniego w XIII wieku, Poznań 1950, pp. 24, 27-29, 34.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Banie
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district gryfiński, commune Banie
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area